Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need car help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinzuk, Dec 22, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is for my 98 malibu, I really want to go see my parents for Christmas and just got a new ignition switch and lock cylinder for my car. Put them in and they themselves work like a charm, unfortunatly the theft system wont let me start the car. Any possible way I can reset it myself. The local Chevy place is not nice to deal with. They said they can get me in a week from today. Any suggestions

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Doesn't that key have a chip in it? If so unfortunetly you're looking at the dealer to get you going.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No the key doesn't have a chip in it. Before I could start the key with a copy made at a hardware store

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

there is one of two ways to get your car going, I just had to do this on a customers, but I'm not at work so I'll try and remember both ways, first, go out and crank then release the ign, and leave it in the on position for 30 minutes, I think it is 30, then the light should do out and you are set. option 2 if the first one doesn't work, crank car then leave key on for 20 min, the theft light will either go out, or start blinking, can't remember which, then turn key off and back to on, let sit another 20 min, light will go off or flash, once again can't remember, then turn key off and then back on for a final 20, totaling 1 hour, then start. the car I just did the first way worked, and since i'm not at work the second way is off of memory, i'm not 100% sure it is correct. try the first one first, hopefuuly it gets you on your way.

5. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status