Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need engine help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZfromNJ, Apr 17, 2002.

1. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I am looking to replace my old beat up engine out of my 74 and put in a new engine. But since it is my daily driver I would to have a tranny that has overdrive. Any suggestions on what I should and should not get?

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If it is a daily driver and you haven't done a rebuild or anything like that before, I HIGHLY recommend a basic GM 350 crate motor. You can get one from Scoggin-Dickey (www.sdpc2000.com) for under $1500.

3. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

what kind of motor are you looking at getting and how often do you use it to wheel? if you are looking for an overdrive tranny, i would go with the 700R4. i had one in my old blazer and didn't have a problem with it untill i beat on it in the woods. they are a little pricey, but thats the price to pay for the overdrive i guess. just my tid bit of info

4. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

Thanks fellas. I will look on the website for the motor and My wheelin here in NJ is pretty much strictly beach riding and mudding.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you aren't really concerned about acceleration, I'd consider just running bigger tires or swapping axles out to something with a numerically lower gear ratio. At least you won't have to worry about the 700 then : )