Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help adding PS pump and ALT to dbl hmp heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Dec 13, 2005.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I got my motor back from the machine shop today and I put on a set of double hump heads. I want to keep the alternator and PS pump in the same location and I am wondering if anyone has any info on this. I guess I don't HAVE to keep them in the same location but I need both alternator and power steering pump.

The heads are off of an old 327 I believe and are 461 castings and the block is a mid 70's truck motor 2 bolt main, nothing sepcial. I know for a fact I will be able to retain the lower brackets that bolt to the water pump and I might be able to make something work for the upper PS pump bolt. The upper alternator bolt is what has me...

Any help or tips greatly appreciated.

2. sf_wood

sf_wood Registered Member

drill and tap, to correct thread. 3/8.

3. cok5

cok5 Registered Member

I remember seeing some mounts on something that mounted the alt down low off the block or something like that. Not sure on the PS pump.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The 69 350 I had used a rather rare factory bracket setup that put the altenator on the drivers side!-part of it bolted to the exhaust manifold,and it also used one water pump bolt if I remember right...the motor I had was from a Suburban,it was in my 72 Chevelle wagon on the Burb's 4x4 frame..

Other than drilling and tapping as suggested,I'd say look in Jegs or Summit for bolt on alternatives..you'll likely never find a complete bracket setup unmolested in a boneyard..there are more than a few options as far as mounting brackets and locations..be careful if you drill and tap to not go too deep--you dont want to drill right thru into the water jacket..

5. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

i believe that the alt bracket that was mentioned above is the one i used. it was factory on 55-80 vetts. it was the way i could get my alt to fit on my 400 sbc with 99 vortech heads while using long waterpump. the alt bracket uses a waterpump bolt and exhaust bolts on the head, placing the alt on the drivers side. the power steering pump bracket from the 72 jimmy worked. Gm still makes the alt bracket but it was 55 bucks with discount. i found cheaper ones on summit.

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

When I put headers on my 70 350 Burb, I lost the alt mounting hole in the exhaust manifold. Header Cos make a bracket that bolts over the header that allows the alt to go back in the stock location. Maybe this will help your situation.