Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help! any 700r4 and transfer case buffs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Khi5in, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

I have an 86 k5 305, 700r4 and t208 case. carburated. Heres the dilema. Had a converter problem, truck was stuck in lockup mode. Enter new trans. Now I am in N.E. and have a snow plow. This is all I have this truck for really. Went to plow and put in 4 hi lcked the hubs, dropped the blade made a sweep through the driveway, all is fine. picked up the blade was driving about 20mph and the car in font of me was doin 15. so I let off the accelerator and when the car turned I stepped on the pedal and it seemed like the truck was in neutral. I can shift into any gear with the column or the 4wd shift and it don't move. Fluid ok no noises were heard, just won't move. Any ideas? one other question. Does the transfer case drive both front and rear axles by way of the drive chain in the case ? Please help.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I can answer the last question for you. The chain only drives the front driveshaft. So that isn't where the problem is. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

First I would Check the linkage and make sure your not in neutral. It almost sounds like it may have popped out gear.

Eric

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I agree, check your linkage, you probably do't have the Tcase engaged.
    About the chain, the only case that I know of that is driven both front and rear by the chain is the Borg Warner Quadra Trac in Jeeps from the seventies.

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

when moving the transfer case shift lever, do the gears grind or seem like anything is turning in the transfer case. If they do grind, it shows the transmission is turning but it isn't being fed thru the transfer case. If it doesn't grind either the transmission isn't turning or the shift fork in the transfer isn't actually moving the slider to engage the gears, the linkage may be moving but the fork may have broken or is sliding on the shift rod.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It sounds as if the tranny went totally south (not likely), or t-case slipped out of gear or the linkage came loose. Michelle and I will be heading to the Cape on Saturday for a friend's birthday and returning Sunday. If needed I could take a swing up to where you live (Mapquest shows the town you live just off of 93) and see if I can lend a hand if you are still having troubles. My cell number is (413) 427-5269.

7. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

FWIW, when my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif did this /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, it turned out to be the torque converter. It went from running just fine up to a traffic light, to nothing when the light turned green /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. No noises, everything seemed to shift fine, but the truck would not move - I initially suspected that the Transfer-case went south. Definitely check the fluid level on your transfer-case (probably the leading root cause of failure). But do consider the torque converter if everything else appears fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Also it sounds like you have a new trans. Where did you get it from and does it have a warranty?

9. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. Some good ideas. I am on my way to my shop via tow to put it up in the air and see whats wrong. Thanks leadfoot if I am in that much trouble I will give you a call. I don't want to put you out of your way but I may need the help If I cant figure it out.

10. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

And the winner is leadfoot. The Tranny went totally south. put it up and shifted through the gears, the wheels wanted to spin but did'nt. transfer case is ok. pulled the pan and all kinds of metal in it. Well time for a trans rebuild. I did kind of run into a deal on an 88 burb with a plow setup. Runs and drives for 300 Bucks!! might either take the trans and put it in the blazer or just plow with it for the winter. and sell it and use the plow money to do the blazer trans right.