Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need HELP ASAP!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, I was on my way home from work, and I was pulling into a 7-11 and my truck just died. I cranked it and it wouldn't start. I let it set a minute, and then cranked it for a few seconds and it fired up after a second. I was headed home, and had to slow down to a stop to make a left, and it died again. I let it set for a minute again and it fired up and got home. I am going to get a new fuel pump and cap & rotor for good measure, but what is wrong?

I have MSD coil, box, and wires on my HEI. My volt meter and engine temp where normal, and I have 3/4+ tank of fuel. All help appreciated. Thanks

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

tbi or carb? i have no idea though. sorry.[​IMG]

LOOK OUT MOAB, HERE COMES THE SUB!!!!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Are you running FI? I had the same problems, and it was the ignition module and the MSD box. Replaced the Ignition module, and send the MSD box back to MSD for repair. Once I rewired the MSD box to the stock ignition system, everyting startred and ran fine.

When it happened it felt like fuel, but ended out to be ignition.

Robzilla

4. Hossbaby50

It is a carb. I don't have an ignition module any more. It was bypassed.

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

MSD was by bet, if you can rewire or bypass the MSD it would give that a try, if it's not too big of a pain in the a$$.

Rob

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe a clogged fuel filter...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how do you bypass an ign mod?
    you went points?

formerly 77chev

8. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

Sounds like a frustratin problem man. the 2 kinda odd and unusuals i would check are the ignition module and then the sock on the pickup in the tank, it may be getting clogged and once it sat, some of the crud in there may have fallen away. lol be sure and check your fuel filter first though...kinda alot of work for maybe nothing, but they are cheap fixes.

'89 Jimmy SLE 350/700, sadly 2 close to stock, much lighter thanx to salted winter roads!

9. Hossbaby50

I am not sure exactly how my module was bypassed, but the guys at my local speed shop rebuilt my distributor and bypassed the module to make my ignition run like a normal ignition. Its still an HEI distributor, but it is made to run like a normal distributor. Also I think MSD makes a hook up for there boxes that bypasses the module so you don't get the power loss above 4500 RPM. When my MSD was installed they took out the module. It is sitting in the door pocket of my tuck as a spare incase the MSD ever fails.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

sorry I missed the word "box" in your MSD list
    wire the ign MODule back in and if MSD repairs your box sell it.
    Mallory sells a direct replacement box that is digital and cheaper then an MSD

formerly 77chev

11. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Check your fuel pump. pressure etc. My Sub did the exact same thing and it turned out to be the fuel pump going out.

Good luck
    White Knight

12. Hossbaby50

I just picked up a new AC Delco fuel pump today. I will install it tomorrow. Any tips?

13. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Not sure if you're is in tank or not so here we go....run your tank until it's almost empty or empty or if you're lucky as I was use a fluid transfer pump that can move FLAMMABLE fluids, removing a tank with gas in it is a b#t@h, I used a floor jack with a piece of plywood to lower the tank, most of the wires and lines will extend a couple of inches or so, reach in on top of the tank and disconnect the leads to the level sensor and ground wire, and the gas lines. slide tank out from under neath trux..make damn sure the top around the fitting is real CLEAN, there is a ring that you spin to remove sending unit and fuel pump, be real careful with sending unit as not to bump or disturb it. replace pump and reverse directions.
    If its not a in tank unit I'd recommend keeping it as close to the tank as possible those lit'l pumps can push gas a mile but only pull it a couple of feet effectively. Good luck Mi Amigo

White Knight