Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help buyer seller issue with a friend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ProJunkRacing, Dec 19, 2005.

?

What would you do respond after reading

1. Give it back even up

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. Tell him F#$% NO

66 vote(s)
    89.2%
  3. Ignore Him

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. PAy Him with money I don't have

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

Please HELP !!!
    Ok so i have been building my truck for the last year .
    My original Plan was to put a 305 in it and it was the wrong rear seal for my flywheel. SO a friend had a motor in the pole barn that his dad told him was his for his camero , but never installed it since he was told it would never pass emmisions. So what would up happening was my Friend told me my truck needed a 350 and I asked what he was willing to do about it.

He told me that he would give me the motor in
    Exchange for a used set of 33/12.5/15 Goodyear wrangler Mtr's

SO we traded even up
    I asked if his dad knew he told me yes and he was cool with it.
    If i knew his dad didn't knwo i would have never done it.

Here is mistake number one i got no bill of sale i should have .

well today i get a phone call from my friend this morning saying that he had bad news i said ok what : he told me that his dad found out about the motor , and either wants me to give the motor back and get my tires , or to give him $850 bucks that i don't have.

SO therefore i get shafted for the tires and my rigs is raped of a motor.

It was a verbal aggrement , but his kid expects me to cough up the money since he said he didn't have any money either .

Also the motor did not run when i got it i made it run , and if it goes back it will not run again .

What should I legitimately do .

The kid is one of my 2 friends i really have.

Also his dad is rich owns a company , and only reason he wants it is to sell at auction it took him 6 months to notice it was gone .

Philip

What would you all do

350 sb.JPG

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would go and talk with his dad and explain what happened to him and see what you guys can work out

3. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

None of the above. I would go to his father and tell him that you were under the impression that you had a struck a fair deal with his son and with his consent. That the mistake was his sons and that this now leaves you in a bad position. If all is as you stated, he should see that his son is the one that needs to man up. Try to work something out with the dad and don’t let him intimidate you if you are in the right.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You might want to re-assess your definition of friend. Obviously he totally lied to you in the beginning.
    I'd tell your "friend" to cough up the dough.
    Alot depends on the condition of the motor when you got it. Did your friends dad build it and didn't finish. It is something that had new parts in it, or did it need gone through? Used tires for a running motor sounds too good a deal to be true.
    If you had to dissemble and de-rust the cylinders, but it had new parts, well still a good deal for you.
    If you had to go through the whole thing and replace cam/pistons/rings do the heads, etc..then I tell 'em just that and it wasn't worth much to being with.

Either way, your buddy pimped you, tell him to work it out with his dad, and that this family fued doesn't concern you anymore.

5. ProJunkRacing

thats what i wanna do but his dad is a Dick and does not listen to reason and i dont wanna lose my motor or say the wrong thing i already took out a loan for some crap i am paying back and have no money to spare for that , and if i wanted to buy it like that i would give it back and build a badazz motor

here are pics of it now

0410.JPG

0411.JPG

0412.JPG

0413.JPG

6. ProJunkRacing

yeah i had to pull some apart pan replaced oil pump timing chain stuff like that then i could never get any compression his dad bought it at auction and it sat for 2 yrs in the barn now he wants to sell it again.

but yeah i am 20 and my dad was pissed seeing as i have done work to it and it is now in the truck and his kid "knows it runs now too"

7. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like your friend needs to step up and be a man. You made a transaction with him not his dad. Itss their problem not yours!

8. ProJunkRacing

that is what i think but he said he didn't wanna give his dad the money for something he doesn't have so he came to me

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

thats your motor... period... If your "friend" is that shady, then it could only get worse as time passes on. I say you find a new friend, keep YOUR motor. Explain to this kids dad, what happend, and if the guy starts getting an attitude, or disrespects you, tell him politely "Look sir i have told you what happend, your problem is with your son, not me." Then stand up walk out and never look back..

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Based on your account:

Tell him you received it in good faith from his son, who told you he knew, and he can have it when he pays you for the parts and labor you have into it. Figure what he owes you based on a shop doing the work. Otherwise, you will see him in small claims. That puts you in a "reasonable and accommodating, trying to reach a fair resolution" light when in small claims where that may make a difference, unlike normal courts.

And put the ball in his court (so to speek). Also tell him that if it goes to court, you'll be filing a complaint on his son for selling stolen goods. Don't worry about your "friend", your putting him in no worse position than he put you in. Turn about is fair play.

I would bet the father will not pursue to small claims because he knows he may loose, may have to compensate you for investment, and may have a "selling stolen goods" on his son's record. You would likely have to give it back *if* he wants to invest the time, but if he owns his own business, I'm sure he's well aware of the "value of his time" and the "loss" he considers on the engine will never cover that time in court.

And from the father's perspective, I would be PISSED too. But I would be stomping a hole in MY SON'S butt, the friend with the motor would probably never hear from me unless it meant a lot to me. And then, I would try to be reasonable given the son's f-up. So I have no sympathy for the Father OR your friend.

And finally, every story has 2 sides (sounds like this one may have 3). My response is based on crediting 100% accuracy and completeness in your account. Honestly, given human nature, that is something that is very unlikely in the extreme. All of us naturally color our perceptions and memories of what happened, particularly in situations like this. I'm not saying you intentionally biased the account, but it's just the way our mind and memory work. It's really tough to evaluate things objectively when you're involved, and that's why 3rd party mediators are often quite valuable in resolving these types of things. But then both involved parties usually feel like they got the shaft because of their biased memories and each having the conviction that their story is the "one true account" and the other party "lied to get their way" (which is obvious :rolleyes: since it does not match the viewpoint of the observer making the statement).

Good luck, and try to keep perspective.

11. ProJunkRacing

yeah i understand that i dunno what to really do if i go over there i am 20 and will bring my dad or something jsut so i have someone to drag me away you know

12. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think you should tell your freind that you all made a deal and you don't want to go back on it. He should be the one to pay his dad the money he should have dealed with him before you traded insted of now.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If your jackoff friend lies to you, he probably lies to his dad too. Go tell his dad what happened, it is probably a different story than his son has told him.

14. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well since you say his dad is a dick. he made a verbal contract with his sone (giving him the motor) the son made a verbal contract with you trading the motor to you for a set of tires. in this case i would just tell your friend that you and him made a deal so HE MUST DEAL WITH HIS FATHER. that is not your problem it is his.

15. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If he lied to ProJunk, then he's possibly lying to his dad too. No dad..he must have thought I said that and then just took it.
    HOw's that old Cosby routine go.. "Dad, A man come through the window and started jumping up and down on the bed until it broke!"

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stay off of the phone. That is always bad when you get to court. Explain what happened in a letter. Be nice, through, and accurate. Remember that the letter may well be read in court one day. Send it certified/ return reciept requested. Offer to give the motor back after you are paid for the parts/labor of getting it running and for the tires. Don't inflate the bill, but don't sell yourself short. Be honest and direct. You will be thankful later.

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stay away from your "friend" for a while until this all settles down.

18. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

dude i already told you what to. Recite the conversation between his son, and you, while you were making the deal on the motor.. Be mature and polite. If the father starts spoutin off, and being a dick, tell him that the deal is over with, as far as you are concerned. and he needs to have his son make it right.

Or if you feel like making a mockery of the whole thing.. Tell the dad that instead of paying him $850 for the motor. You would sell it back to him$850.:haha:

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That's why I said, "assumes your account is 100% correct and complete". And also the part about "3 sides" and so on... :D

cbbr has a good point too. Certified leter, maybe even witnessed/notarized too, and keep a copy with a "creditable" 3rd party to verify that the original was sent in the certified mail if you want to be very careful.

And 20 or not, nothing says you have to act like a typical "can't control myself and don't want to" hot headed teenager. Be an adult and state your case rationally as others have said. Worst case is it goes to court and the courts make the call, unless you throw it all away by acting like a hothead, which only destroys your credibility.

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'd tell ol boy to pack sand and deal with his daddy. since from what i gather, the father hasnt contacted you, only the son.

i agree, if the father does want it back, not only charge him for the parts and labor for the new parts you installed, but also for R&R of the engine into your truck. if he wants to play hardball, pursue the selling stolen property, and try to get the money back for the parts and labor.