Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help deciding on a diffrential for my truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pplblazerdude, Jan 17, 2003.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

I have a 88 full size blazer with a 10 bolt with 4.10 gears and dont have the money to go 3/4 ton and i dont plan on going bigger than 33 inch tires. My question is what would be the best diffrential for me to get i have looked at a few and here at two i have found. http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=579
    and http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=550 which would be better or what other ones should i look at.
    I dont wont to spend a whole lot of money on it cause im 15 and am not able to work will im in school. Thanks for all the advice. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Clint

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i would stay with the ten bolt and 4;10 gears / if you are only going to run 33s. and not do no rough offroading... the 10 bolt that you have with 4;10s are rare if's from the factory.. is it stock or is it aftermarket the 4;10s? if you dont have the money and there is nothing wrong with your 10 bolt i would run it till it breaks and then start looking for a better axles like the 14 bolt and front dana 60.

3. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

when i bought the blazer it had 4.10 gears and the guy who had it before me toweb a cmaper with it so i think he put them in it. im not planning on doing any rock crawling cause where i live there isnt much of it but i plan on playing in the mud and drive on some kinda rocky trails nothing real serious. Would u have and recommendaions on a locker or limited slip. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

you would be better off if you had some kind of traction device / but the only 10 bolt traction device i ever had when i owned a 4x4 with the 10 bolt. was the factory gov-loc it does a good job of adding extra traction but it will destory itself if you abuse it . so i really couldnt give you a answer on this but hang on someone else will..

5. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

If you have the experience to do it yourself, go with the Detroit Locker. If you just want to play on so trails and in a little mud, and your mechanical skills arent the best, go with detroits' E-Z locker. Its easy to install, priced decent and it works great. Good luck

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Be smart...do not spend a dime on those 10 bolts. Drop in lockers aren't the best plan especially in the rear. Many are not rated for anything over a 31" tire. Save your money and get better diffs when you can afford them...

Rene