Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need Help!!! Fender Cut outs, and Door panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tayv, Jul 9, 2003.

1. tayv

tayv Registered Member

New to the site and new to wheel'n, I am starting from scratch with a 76 K5 350, 4 speed. I cn't seem to get the door panels off of the inside. Are there just pins? do I just pull and hope they don't break? Thought I would ask the experts here first!! Also, lot's of external rust. Going to cut out the fenders and especially the Quarters. I was going to use fender flares, but decided against. How much can I cut off? Is there a limit? I will also be intalling Rocksliders and a Full cage. Any body know where to look for a guide on building a cage? DO you buy them? I want to cut the middle of the roof out. Thanks for any help you can give!! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    New to the site and new to wheel'n, I am starting from scratch with a 76 K5 350, 4 speed. I cn't seem to get the door panels off of the inside. Are there just pins? do I just pull and hope they don't break?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, Welcome to the best chevy site on the net /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The door panels are held on by screws and plastic pins. The plastic pins are along the bottom and side edges, and the screws are scattered in the middle. As far as the rest, i have no rust, so I can't help you on that.

3. tayv

tayv Registered Member

So, do I just pull on it? pry along the edges with a screwdriver? That was my thinking but I thought that I would check before I ripped on anything to much. Can you buy those aftermarket new? Thank you for everything!!!!

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes on both, you can pull on it or use something to do a little prying. They actually make a tool for those things if you want to get right down to it, but i have never used one, i just pull. And yes, you can buy replacement plastic pegs/pins /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tayv

tayv Registered Member

Thank you!!!! IF anyone else can anser the other questions about the cutouts and roll cages, that would be great!!

6. Drewminator

Drewminator Registered Member

I'm a new member also and love this sight. I have a '83 K5 that I have been building for a few years.

Regarding your door panels - careful not to just pull on the panel. I have not had mine off but have had other vehicles off in the past. I think there is a plastic ribed piece that attaches to the door panel and pushes into a hole on the door. If you just pull on the panel it will likely pull out of the panel before the door riping where it attaches to the panel. It's best to make a tool from a thin piece of metal cutting a "V" in the front that will slip around the plastic "rivit" and into one of the groves then pry it out of the door not the panel. If you can get out one you'll know what I mean.

Can't help you with the rust question - i have some but am not worried about it. It's a trail rig that I don't want to be worried about scratching or denting. if it's perfect I will worry too much about body damage.

On the rock sliders - there are several aftermarket companies out there that make them that bolt on. i think the product review section of CK5 has a couple of mfrs that make them. if your handy you can look at a set and make your own.

I had a guy that builds circle track tube frames custom make my 8 point roll cage. I looked for a while for a"pre-fab kit" but did not find one. look for some one like that or someone with a tubing bender that has custom built roll bars before. He built it in sections then welded it together and to the floor at 8 points(2 under the dash, 2 behind the front seats, 2 in the back, and 2 off them forward to the wheel wells) with a 10" metal plate between the bar & the floor. All 8 points are tied together simular to what you see in a jeep.A lot of people also go through the floor and directly to the frame for maximum strength. Also had him go diagonal from the top to the bottom behind the seats, and in the back a front to back middle bar to protect for rocks or anything else from going in the center of the cage if upside down with the roof off (my kids ride in the back seat).

Hope I was some help anyway.

7. tayv

tayv Registered Member

Do you have a way of taking pics of your cage? any of the connecting points? I have all the tools and I am pretty sure I could do this I just need to see one first. If you ahve any pics pleas post or send to johnatacura@hotmail.com
    Thank you!!

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about the 2 screws that hold the armrest on. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. cris

cris Registered Member

yeah I'm also getting the bush wacker cut out flares I'm gonna wait to cut them out till I get them and as far as roll cage I just went to a metal yard and bought pipe it's not that expencive but metal fabing takes a while.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm also mounting my seats to the roll cage so it's a real pain in the doh! for me. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. Drewminator

Drewminator Registered Member

tayv:

Don't have any pictures in this system or on file. I'll try to take some and send them to you via the e:mail address you sent me. It may take me a while as I am going to North Carolina on business starting this weekend until late next week. A good friend has a digital camera and I'll try to set you up with some pictures. In fact, I'll try to get him over before I leave so you don't have to wait so many days.

The entire cage is covered in padding & black duct tape but you should get the idea. It is important that you use the correct type and gage tube for a cage. I'll have to look back through my paperwork to see if i can find what my guy used.

I didn't go as far as to build a seat frame incorporated into the cage. For the ultimate in safty that's the way to do it. That way if you tear up the truck real bad you stay attached to the cage by your seat & belts.