Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need help fixing my blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Oct 5, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

Tomorrow is my day off so im planning on getting my barely running truck to tip top shap. I need to set the timing but i dont know what to set it at. i hear 8 and 12. And i hear that i should go y sound. But i want to get the best performance. I also need to tighten my rocker arms and springs so the arms dont hit my valve covers. How do i know how tight to tightn them so they dont clank? Thanks alot. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You need to adjust the valve lash. For this you need a flat feeler guage set. I think a basic Chiltons manual would cover this but not sure since I quit using them and started going for factory manuals.

For timing start out with 12 deg btdc then test drive it under hard load. If it pings back it off 2 deg and test it again. keep repeating until you dont get any ping under hard acceleration.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You cannot adjust hydrolic lifters with a feeler gage. That only works on solid lifters.
    Get a shop manual. It's not super hard but there is a sequence to adjusting the lifters. I have done it several times and I always have the book there in front of me when I do it.

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

best thing to do on your timing is to set it at different seting and drive it i would start out at 8 if it gets hard to start at anything above that i would go down you will get the best performance at a higher setting so just play with it .and as far as the adjusting of the vavles goes what you need to do is back the rocker arm off just until you hear it start clicking then snug it until it quits clicking it doesnt take much then when it stops clicking you can go 3/4 to 1 full turn with you ratchet you will need to keep the engine running because it will want to die especalily it you try to turn the nuts down quickly so turn your ratchet slow they are not that hard to do hope this makes sense

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You cannot adjust hydrolic lifters with a feeler gage. That only works on solid lifters.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oops, can you tell I drive some antiques? These old V6's have solid lifters and I havent messed with hydraulic ones for a while...