Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help installing a transfer case any ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 2, 2001.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a 74 blazer and we installed a new tranny and we are putting in the tcase (203) but we cant get it in place. We have been trying to use a transmission jack but its so lop sided we cant get it in straight. also it has true duals and they are getting in the way when we dropped it we just let the broken tranny and tcase fall out. The tcase is so heavy it weighs like 175 lbs so bench pressing it in is no option for a puss like me. Is there a tcase jack or any plans on building one?
    Brent

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Have you tried to put them in together? Iknow it sucks cos you've already got the tranny in. You could also try to eyeball it and rig it in position with ropes to help you.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have an 89 350 with dual, and replaced my transfer case 3 times a few months back, and i just used i floor jack, and my buddy and i just wiggled it in place. but mine is a 208 alum, and it might weigh 75lbs. you might try using the tranny jack in conjunction with a floor jack.
    chris

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Is the case already drained of fluid?? If not, draining will make it alot lighter to heave around. (I've found cussing at the thing helps alot too!!)

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

This is gonna sound totally stupid but its all I can think off that hasnt been said. Get some some good rope and hog tie that sucker down. You could kinda get it in position then tie it to the frame rails so the sucker won't fall down and you have at least a little balance. Alot easier than tryin to balance it on a jack and stick it up in there.

[​IMG]

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have a floor type tranny jack with a wide pad, a 4x4 block under the mainshaft side, and chain it down tight. Oh, and pray alot!! you can buy tranny jack adapters for floor jacks for 100+ dollors. has tilting ability front to rear and side to side.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are laying on the floor doing this, get another friend to help lift it. I have done it this way several times. I have even installed this heavy t-case in by myself with just a floor jack. It wasnt pretty, but I got it done.
    If you are in a shop and have access to a lift, then you should have no problems with this. Even easier if you have the tranny jack to help lift it and support it, too.

8. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    If you have an overhead lift (the hydraulic kind with the arm) stick it through the door and drop a chain through the hole where the shift lever for the tcase gos. Then bolt the chain to the beast and put it up. Last time I did it i had my th350 and np203 connected and used 3 floorjacks. Took forever. Had to move the jacks about 5 times. Then i looked in the corner and saw the lift. Then i looked through the floor board at the tcase without the shift lever in place. Then I kicked myself in th a**. I know it will work because i got the lift out and made sure it would fit for next time. [​IMG]

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Dude.. I know this sucks but keep playing with it you'll get it in there. When my bro and I changed out his tranny(th350) and tcase(203) we bolted them togather before we installed them and that even sucked. We got one bolt started on the tranny (tranny was all sideways and twisted) and finally I had to get down on all 4's and push the tranny up with my back while my bro wiggled it around to get the tranny lined up with the studs. He's got duel exhaust and that was a pain in the ass all by itself. You can do it. I've got faith in you.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. jerseymudder

jerseymudder Registered Member

3 OUT OF 4 TIMES I DID MINE SOLO.
    I BOLT THE TRANS AND CASE TOGETHER,
    BOLT UP THE MOUNT AND CROSSMEMBER,
    I PUT BLOCKS ON MY JACKS TO REACH THE FRAME
    RUN ONE JACK UNDER THE TRANNY PAN, ONE ON THE CASE AND RUN THEM UP TOGETHER.

11. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Wait for a hockey game or football game too come on.Then invite as many friends as you have say there will be beer and pizza.Thenmake then help you put the transfer case in.

12. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

going off Sparky done this 4 times with my 75 works super well i used a back hoe but any over head lifting device will wrok all you have to do is bolt teh 2 together then hoist it up iv also done the tranyn/transfercase togeather on floor jacks not too bad will say that i tried puting my 205 in after the tranny was in it was a real pain andi t doesnt have near the mass of the 203 so i wish you good luck!

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

13. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

when i did one on a '77 blazer I got under there and did a leg press... suprisingly that worked!!! I was lifting the trans and engine in the process so be careful not to lift the truck off the stands

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I was lifting the trans and engine in the process so be careful not to lift the truck off the stands

<hr></blockquote>

Your killing me...lol

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

15. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The 203 weighs closer to 300 pounds......that said, it doesn't get any easier. Best way to get it installed is to marry it to the transmission and put them in as one unit. This way you can also make sure that the adaptor has a good seal to the transfer case. On a TH350, the bolts to the tranny have to go in first (there on the inside of the adaptor and dont forget the square o-ring that seals the tranny to adaptor) then the t-case (seal the gasket on both sides, and bolt it to the t-case on the outside). The bottom bolts will leak oil if you don't put some sealant on the threads (I put sealant on all the t-case bolts). For better stability, bolt the cross member up to the transfer case, if you dont have a transmission jack, you'll need 2 floor jacks. Use a piece of 3/4" plywood about 10" square under the tranny (keeps from denting the pan and adds a stable platform to support the tranny). Also, build another 10" square piece doubled up to support the t-case. With the crossmember in place, the best place to support the t-case is to place the 10" doubled piece under the drop portion of the t-case and the crossmember. You'll have to position the plywood under the right adaptor/tranny mount bolt and angle it toward the drop portion. This seems to be about the center of gravity of the t-case. Support the oil pan. I have a 4" lift and a 2x4 on the 2" side fits through the leaf springs and a small piece of 1/2" plywood (about 6" square between the 2x4 and the oil pan) kept mine in place. I used a tranny jack the last time and had to jack the Blazer up to get ground clearance to slide everything under it. Then I lowered it to get everything down to a working level. Since your helping your buddy, you have the benifit of having two people doing the work. I had to call in the wife, which can sometimes be more negative help, to give the front jack a push on the handle while I pushed it forward slightly to mate up.

16. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

hey... if you get enough weight shifting then it can come off all 4 jack stands (the one I was doing was on jack stands and it was moving around a bit which scared me some). Just giving some warning is all mann.

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00