Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I NEED HELP! MY CAR STEREO WON"T COME ON

Discussion in 'Audio' started by weisel, May 8, 2001.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I NEED HELP! MY CAR STEREO WON\"T COME ON

I bought a new Koiiler car stereo/CD player. It has four channels with 35 watts going to each one. I don't know if you have ever heard of this brand, I sure havn't. But I bought it and I can't get it to come on. At first it worked fine. I hooked up two 350w speakers. Later I added two more small mid-range speakers to the front two channels and then it just stopped then right when i hooked up the speakers, but the stereo still was on. I left it alone for a while then turned it back on to see if it worked, the stereo came on but still no sound. Yes, I had the volume up. Yes, the speakers were hooked up. No, I did not leave the front two speakers hooked up. Just incase you were going to ask. Anyways, I left it alone and tried it again. But now the stereo doesn't even come on. Right now I'll be happy if i can just get the thing to work cause i have an amp i can hook up to the RCA plugs if the stereo doesn't want to put out any sound. Please help thanks.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: I NEED HELP! MY CAR STEREO WON\"T COME ON

When you say you hooked up 2 350 watt speakers does that mean you hooked up subwoofers to your radio? Because that is a bad thing and would probably explain your problem. Another problem would be the brand. I've been involved with car audio stuff for a long time and I've never heard of that.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

the speakers are 175 true watt speakers incased in a two speaker box, i think they are 8". they arn't subwoofers. i would like to get this thing working though it is a weird brand.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Pioneer's are awsome!!! Hint hint: Take it back while you can and get your money back and get a Pioneer.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: I NEED HELP! MY CAR STEREO WON"T COME ON

Forgive me for saying this, and I'm not trying to pick on anyone... [​IMG] BUT...

Speakers do not have "watts"....

There is no such thing as a "1000 Watt Speaker", though there may be a speaker capable of handling an input voltage equivalent to 1000 watts! I read many posts from people who seem to be under the impression that if they have a CD player with 35Wx4 internal amp, and two 150 watt speakers, they somehow have a 440 watt system?!?!? It simply doesn't work that way. Speakers are a passive device, they are not capable of producing "power"....however they are very capable of producing a "load" on an amplifier or deck.....perhaps it is this "LOAD" that caused your Koiiler CD player to self-destruct.

I would concur with the other comments in this thread...to a great extent, you will get what you pay for. A low-cost, off-brand stereo will most likely be a dissapointing performer and waste a lot of your time, as you try to figure out how to make it work. There are plenty of people here who can give you 'real life' experiences about what works (and what doesn't)...so don't be afraid to ask.

Good Luck on your system. Let us know what happens...!

-Greg72

BTW -&gt; Never try to drive subwoofers off the internal amp from an in-dash CD player. There's just not enough power there, despite what the spec sheets might lead you to believe!!! [​IMG]

7. muddin4fun

I think it's just a way of describing them. Like instead of saying, two speakers that can handle 150 Watts each, we say, 150Watt speakers. [​IMG] Quit picking on everbody! LOL! Just kidding!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

8. Greg72

Alright....point taken. Maybe it's just a way to descibe speakers capabilities more easily.....BUT

Who actually cares about a power rating of a speaker? (now stepping into nomex suit!) [​IMG]

I've said this before in this forum...and I probably will again, my own philosophy is that a stereo setup will always sound better by adding more "clean" power to the speakers. I may have a 75 watt speaker connected to a 200 watt amplifer....but that doesn't concern me too much. I doubt that speaker will ever "see" 75 watts of power for more than a brief instant anyway....but what is VERY important is that the amplifier can simply 'loaf along' providing lots of clean power to the speaker without distortion.....the speaker will sound great, and will last a lot longer by playing A/C waveforms, than if it is driven to distortion by an amplifier that is clipping and sending DC waveforms instead.

If you get too caught up in the specs....you will become lost in the slippery world of "marketing numbersmanship"

Example:

"Our ThunderClap subwoofer can handle 1000W of power!!!!"...

My questions to them might be:

1. At what frequency? 20Hz? 30Hz? 200Hz?
    2. For what duration of time? 1 second? .1 seconds? Less...?
    3. What is the RMS power rating for your speaker (The power that can be SUSTAINED without damage)

Specifications often mislead you into thinking a product is great, when in fact it may just be crap. You could make the arguement that if you look at what is in use in competition vehicles, you will get an idea of who is making quality products. These competitors have probably destroyed more equipment than you or I can afford to even buy...in an effort to find the "real stuff" that works....looking for an advantage in sound quality and durability.

Anyway, sorry for the rant....I get too worked up talking about this stuff. Maybe I should go replace my tie rod ends....and stop reading these message boards. [​IMG]

-Greg72

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

My man Greg is completely right. One of the most rookie things you can do is pay too much attention to the power handling of speakers. I have 2 subs that are "rated" to handle 200 watts each, RMS. So 400 watts for the both of them right? Well, the birth certificate with my amp said 998 watts, and the way its wired those subs are getting every bit of that power. I haven't blown the subs, and I'm never going to. There is never too much power as long as its clean undistorted power. Its alot easier to hurt a speaker with not enough power.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

11. Greg72

Re: I NEED HELP! MY CAR STEREO WON"T COME ON

Thanks for the support. Ya know in the not too distant future, I hope to be able to show you all some pics of the stereo that will be drowning out the sound of the big block K5!!! [​IMG]

It's based on a total of (4) a/d/s PQ20 amps, each running in a bridged 2-channel mode (conservatively rated at 200 watts/channel).....1 amp will run a JL Audio 15W6 sub (dual voice coil...400W total to this speaker), 2 amps will power a total of (4) G&S Redline 6.5" Midbass drivers (2 in each door) and the final amp will drive a pair of G&S ODKD tweeters......yes, that's 200W to each tweeter!.....but remember, it's all about having 'reserve power'.

So there you have it....a simple (relatively speaking) 1600 watt system that should ROCK!!, but will still be quite musical. This system is definitely not a 'finesse' or 'ultimate sound quality' system...this is definitely what I would call a "rock-n-roll setup"....it will be "punchy" and "loud" and just plain fun to listen to. Even with the top off there will be plenty of volume.....so the tunes won't be lost once I hit the highway!!!

There are lots of little things to still get (stiffening caps, cables, connectors, etc) and I do still need to work out the final details of how I will lay all of this out in the K5. I have never had to worry about keeping equipment off the floor (and potentially out of puddles of water) before, so that is a new consideration for where the equipment will have to reside. Fortunately, there is lots of room in the rear quarterpanels for all the goodies I need to install.

Once the installation begins, I'll post a few photos so you can see it undergoing the transformation!! [​IMG]

....are we having fun yet? [​IMG]

-Greg72

12. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a 1 farad cap I might be selling. Are you interested?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

13. Greg72

Will you include the 7909 in the deal too? [​IMG]

I'm going to need 2 farads total, so I'd still need one more....what's the deal on your's: brand, asking price, cylinder shape vs. cube shape, etc.

Thanks,

-Greg72

14. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

7909... What 7909??? lol
    I have 2 caps actually but I have to keep one for my daily driver. I haven't looked in my trunk for so long I'm not 100% sure, but I think its a Lightning Audio brand. I KNOW its 1 farad cylinder cap with the monitor top...not the numbers, but the little LED bars for the voltage. That one has been in my car for a while. The other one I have I don't think is Lightning...I'll have to check that too. It is new in the box and does have the number readout on the top for voltage. Its pretty damn nice. I also have some Lightning bus bars for 2 caps new in the box also. Let me check them out and see exactly what I have and I'll let you know about prices either later today or tomorrow. I'll send you an email.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

15. muddin4fun

whoa!!!! OMG!!! I'm cross eyed now!!! LOL!!!!

[​IMG]

16. Greg72

Hey....you wind us up and this is what you get......just a bunch of car audio maniacs losing control on this message board!!!!

[​IMG]

-Greg72

17. muddin4fun

LOL!!!

[​IMG]

18. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming

hey how much for the 1 fared cap? im interested.

friends romans countrymen, lend me some parts

19. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'll let you know if Greg decides he doesn't want it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

20. Greg72

Sorry Ryan.....my profile was messed up. If you've been trying to reach me please use the following address:

gregblanchette@netscape.net

My profile is now updated to reflect this as well.....

-Greg72