Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need help on my stereo

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Jul 16, 2001.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Hello. I own a 85 gmc jimmy sierra classic and while I was putting in the new steering column i unplugged the stereo wire from the constant power outlet. Since i did this it does not remember my prefixes.Which wire from the stereo do I need to plug in and where in the fuse box do I need to plug it.

Eddie Schmied 1985 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4. One hell of a coyote chasing son of a bitch.

2. Take a test light and with the key in the off position, look for a connection at the fuse block that lights up the test light and hook it up there. Is your stereo stock or aftermarket? Aftermarket stereo usually have a yellow wire for memory, I don't remember which wire it is for the stock deck.

Good Luck, Doug

4 wheelin's not a job, it's an adventure!

3. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

It is a stock stereo.

Eddie Schmied 1985 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4. One hell of a coyote chasing son of a bitch.

4. MUD_SPEC

MUD_SPEC Registered Member

The memory wire on the stock radio is orange. Check your domelight fuse or see if your domelights come on when you open a door, I believe this is also the fuse for the stereo memory. You may have blown that fuse in the swap or find a fuse like banshee said and tap into it if the new column harness is different.