Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I NEED HELP>>> STEERING AFTER LIFT!!!!!/Make tougher!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StiffRide81, Sep 14, 2002.

1. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

My steering currently... is off center and very very loose!! I have to constantly move the steering wheel back and forth to compensate.. this is on stock suspension... well.. I just order 4" suspension lift and 3" body lift!!! I am also getting 37x12.5x15 MT/R's very very soon. This will be a total of 12" of lift!!!(tires included.. I have 32's now!) I need to know how to make the steering a little less sloppy.. and also.. I just broke a u-joint.. and would like to replace it with something a little more heavy duty.. any thoughts??
    Also, I use this truck for one thing... trails, AND MUD.. no rocks. I need to know how I can help to make my truck stronger without spending a fortune on new diffs and transfer case and stuff like that.. dont have that kind of budget.. .poor mans budget... please try and give me some pointers on making this baby stronger!!

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

well since your truck is a 81.. the 10 bolts in my opinion, are gonna bow up on the tires you want...

Your steering probably needs new joints...

with a 4 inch susp your gonna want a pitman arm for the 4 inch lift...

I'd check all your steering joints for play and have someone watch the steering box, turn the wheel and see how far the wheel turns before the wheels turn...

Get a steering brace for the truck also! Big help! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check closely for cracks in the frame around the steering box. That's a common failure on these trucks and will allow the truck to wander a lot. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I just order 4" suspension lift and 3" body lift!!! I am also getting 37x12.5x15 MT/R's very very soon. This will be a total of 12" of lift!!!(tires included.. I have 32's now!)

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would be 9.5" total if the tire sizes are true height...

I agree the 10 bolts you have will likey grenade with 37's and any kind of wheeling, especially if they are stock 10 bolts. You can pay now or probably pay more later when it comes to making your truck stronger.

Check the tie rod ends, drag link ends, steering box bolts, frame around the steering box etc. The 4" lift should come with a raised steering arm...

Rene

5. StiffRide81

First, I think by 10 bolt(s) plural... you mean the ONE ten bolt diff in the front... OK... what do I replace this with and where do I find something that will work??? AND how much is this going to cost?? Remember... these are 37x12.5.. and its in mud... not rocks... but if you think they will break.. I will take your word for it... what can I get instead and how much.. and where????
    Also, ALL the steering joints are solid.. they have all been replaced about 2 years ago... excluding the steering box itself... which I should probably replace... how much is that going to run me?

6. StiffRide81

In reply to "that would be 9.5" total lift"
    Just out of curiosity how would that be 9.5 inches??
    The tires.. if you check online... are about 1/4 inch smaller than they are really rated at. which means 36 3/4 iches. I have 32's (bald) now what are prolly actually 31's SO I am assuming that would be a 5 inch increase.. no?? And a 4" suspension lift does give you 4 " doesnt it??? I am just asking.. I dont really know the answer.... same goes for 3" body????
    3+4+5 doesnt = 9.5... please explain to me... dont really know how this works. (I am not being sarcastic.. I really dont) /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

you only add 1/2 the tire diameter. From the center of the hub to the ground is adding 2.5"

8. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

ORD makes a nice axle upgrade for your 10 bolt and as far as the lift, most of us DONT include tire size! So you have 7" of lift period, tires are just extra the 7" is what you go off of! The steering brace is a must,GEARS are a must, and a new sterring box or good used one sounds like a good idea.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What Tony said... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Anyways, for axles you have a couple of choices. You can drop up to a grand strengthening your 10 bolt and then buy a D60 anyways...or you could just buy the D60 right away./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Frankly for a mud truck you could probably wheel the 10 bolt for quite a while as long as the rear has been upgraded. The problem is you likely have cruddy gears so in order to get some good gears, 8 lug outers and maybe upgrade the axle shafts you're already spending a fair buck...

Before you do anything you'll need to find out what gears you have. 37's require some decent gears

The rear diff is much the same story...rear 10 bolts seem more prone to grenading than the fronts do. Fortunately the heavy duty replacement is relatively cheap. The 14 bolt FF rear can be had with 4.10's for about $100-$300.

BTW, Goodyear says in their own literature that the 37" MT/R is only 36.2" tall...and you can bet even that number is on the optimistic side. Count on 35 3/4" real world on the truck.

Rene