Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help, truck won't start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan2286, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

I need help, truck won\'t start

My truck won't start. For the past 4 weeks after running the truck for over 15 minutes and then shutting it of and then starting again, it would turn over really slow like wa.wa...wa.wa.. and then start so I assumed it was probably the starter heating up or something like that. So about two weeks ago I changed my plugs to get emission tested and it passed but after the test, were they have you going 60mph on rolloers for about 2 minutes, they shut it off and when I tried to restart it it wouldn't start. This time it turned really slow and then couldn't even turn anymore. also the inside light really dims when its turning over. So I figured mystarter was hot or something like that. and waited like 20 minutes to start and it finally started, but not like it should, it first turned slowly and progressively got faster untill it finally fired and then ran and idled fine. With no white smoke or anything to indicate a head gasket leak. So I continued driving and starting it pretty easily, and about a week ago replaced a leaky fuel line, a piece from the fuel filter to the TBI. now for the past few days it won't start at all, the motor barely turns over even with a charger on the battery. So today I replaced the starter and it still is doing the same thing. What should I look for or do next? Thanks, oh by the way its an 88 K5 Blazer 350 TBI

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: I need help, truck won\'t start

check your timeing

3. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I just had the same problem! Could not figure it out until... I tried starting the truck and happen to glance at the battery while starting it and saw sparks! The ground wire from the lights was touching the hot wire! Re routed it, cleaned the ground up good and she fired up! Try checking your ground wires for corrision, clean 'em up, it's worth a try.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Check the cables. If everything is peachy when its running, thats gotta be it.

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

start with the basics 1st, i'd have the battery tested (check the fluid level, it should be about 1/8" or so from the top), check your cables for corrosion, check the cables on the other end to make sure they are tight, and have your starter tested. they can test your starter on the vehicle and check the current draw under a load.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First thing I would normally check is the timing, but since it passed smog, the timing shouldn't be too far off to make this symptom. Usually more than 3 degrees off you fail.
    Sooo next thing would be a bad ground, either on the battery terminals or on the engine.
    Last, I would check the battery, I don't see any mention of you thinking it could be the problem.
    I would think it could be the battery or the ground because you say the lights dim when you're cranking and that's either the battery not having enough juice to serve both, or the the current going through the light return to compensate for the bad ground.
    Never underestimate the power of a ground.