Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help w/ Blown Engine 1989 TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TEXICAN, Mar 26, 2006.

1. TEXICAN

TEXICAN Registered Member

Im new to all this. Just bought my first blazer on Monday, the engine was shot i didn't know it. The engine blew after i was almost home 80 miles later 10 miles from town. I need suggestions on what to do w/ the engine. How much horsepower can you make w/ a stock TBI. :confused:

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Define blew.

3. TEXICAN

Well the car sells man lied and told me my K5 had a strong 350. Well i made it 10 miles from town and the engine wouldn't crank. So we pulled it w/ a chain to my automotive school. Pulled the whole drivetrain. We took off the intake it was full of sludge and shavings. Pulled the heads one was cracked. A small piece of a pistion head was missing. We drained the oil you could see all the water in it. It was more of a sludge. Looked like milk shake. The tranny fluid smelled burn't.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

That's an unfortunate situation, to put it mildly. At least it sounds like the TBI setup works OK, so you can still use that.

I have no idea how thick or thin your wallet is, and if you're in school, it's probably not sweating huge piles of cash, but perhaps the easiest thing, and fairly cheap as engines go, would be something like this long block. 3 year 50K mile warranty, 4-bolt mains, LT-1 rods, and 50HP more than the stock 1989 350TBI. Just the basic 10067353 without the intake (just use your TBI setup, distributor, and so forth), although you might need to have the TBI's ECM reprogrammed to work with the cam, or just throw in something like an edelbrock 3702 cam kit (it's computer-control compatible) and run it that way instead.

After you get it running, then you can powerbrake on the car dealer's body if you wish.

5. Creek

Creek Registered Member

His TBI intake will not bolt up to that motor.

David

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The answerer is simple........ All you need is money and one of these

BTW I have been dealing with Extremefi for awhile. Always been pleased with their stuff.

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

Dammit, that's right, it won't. They (GM Goodwrench) do have a TBI replacement crate engine for a few hundred bucks more that would be a direct fit with that intake; I'll look for a part number and some details for that one (sorry about that, my error).

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

Here's the TBI replacement long block. It's a little tamer in the HP department, as well as having 2-bolt mains (vs the 4-bolt mains of the other), and it's got those swirl port heads.

9. TEXICAN

Man it was worth spending the $25 for coloradok5 I really appreciate every ones help.

10. TEXICAN

11. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

how long did you take inspecting the motor/drivetrain before you bought it???? sounds like yuou were far from a mechanic you can trust but i always have a one check out a vehicle i buy.......since im not the smartest bout automobiles. im sorry you got ripped off. it happened to me but not with the motor....i just got screwed with a sh!t load of rust hiddin by carpet and paint! goodluck buddy

also what part of texas are you from.... fort worth here

12. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

You said "salesman" in one of your posts right? If you got this from a dealer I would go back rip them a new ***hole! They should pay or replace if you were only 80 miles away.

13. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

When my 89 with 225,000 finally needed to get replaced, I just went to my local chevy dealer and got a replacement new crate engine.

3 year warr. no questions about fitting, and plenty of power. Not the cheapest, but probably the most reliable.

14. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

:pimp:
    :pimp:

That would be a real nice upgrade to my K5.