Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help with a fuel tank problem...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Hi again,

Below is a picture of the top of the fuel tank, I need to ge to the fuel pump and replace it, but I can't figure out how it comes out, can anyone help?

And can anyone identify the pipes? 4 is the filler. 5 is the breather and 6 is the fuel pump electrics, but the other I don't know.

[​IMG]

Kia.

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Looks like 1 will be the delivery line and 2 will be the return line. You have to turn the lock ring. Put a screwdriver against one of the little tabs sticking up and tap it with a hammer.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The thing would pull straight out, you will have to snake it out as it has some bends in it...also, make sure you get a new sock (filter) for the tank pickup before the fuel pump...that's life or death for the pump.

4. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Just to expound on what Outlaw said. With the screwdriver on the tab and with hammer, you should be able to tap it around counter clockwise(lefty loosy) to where the whole assembly will pull right out of tank. If your replacing fuel pump you should get a brand new lockring and oring gasket. If you still dont know which tab to knock around go get the parts from store first and you'll understand with the new lock ring. I know when I did my s-10, I had to pick out all the mud and grit before I could do anything.You should try to clean up around the assembly first prior to removing so your tank will stay clean. You shouldn't have any trouble and good luck.
    Tom

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And you've clarified that indeed it is the fuel pump that has died, not something else related?

Looks like the tank is already down, but I really hate seeing people post that they've "changed XX $$ worth of (good) parts, and it still doesn't work. Help!"

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I actually had the small hose come off the fuel pump in the tank, the pump was fine. pissed me off but made me happy I didn't have to buy a pump at the same time. from the picture I'm pretty sure #3 is the feed, #2 the return and #1 the charcoal vent. I could be wrong though.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

3) Fuel feed
    4) Return
    5) Charcoal canister (I think)
    6) Fuel pump power and guage sender

Like dorian said, make sure it's not something else. Should be pink and brown wires. pink is sender, brown is power to the pump. Make sure your getting power and that there is no fuel coming out when power applied. I've seen the tubes fall off in the tank, and I personally had one split and bleed off enough pressure that it ran like @#$#. I like to have NEVER found that sucker since you couldn't see it till you pinched the rubber hose just right...

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was tought to use something wooden instead of a screw driver becouse a screw driver MIGHT couse a spark !! Not a good thing around gas fumes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Thankf for all that info guys,

Yes I have checked everything and with the help of you guys here I've managed to take out the pump. I'll exchnge it today and hope to be on my way /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I got a problem, I don't think it's been change since new so I have sheered off the bolts on the straps to the rear of the truck so I have to figure out a way to get some new ones.

I'll get back soon and see how it goes...

Kia.