Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need Help with axle questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Krase, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Krase

Krase Registered Member

Can some of you give me some advice or opinions on what kind of rear axle and gears to go with, as mine is shot. I am not at all familiar with driveline problems. I run 4" inch lift springs in front blocks in back. My 88 has the 350. I do not do hard off-roading mainly mudtrails and on road. I looked up several posts where people suggested 12 bolt but would you change out gears? i have been running stock up until now.

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

No, no one here knows anything about axle swaps. If you were to do a search on, say, 14 bolt, I'm sure you wouldn't get any useful information at all.

3. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif haha..that's messed up man

4. Troopie's Tonka

dude- I am not the guru or anything, although several of the members and visitors to this website are. In my opinion, you can keep your stock axles/gears with 33's. I had stock axles/gears with 35's and 36's and never broke anything. It wasn't a healthy combo, but it worked. since you do the occasional muddin and not much more, I wouldn't let any of these guys talk you into dropping too much cash on any kind of axle swap or gears. (Unless you are made of money or something, then go ahead and beef up to 1 tons). Oh by the way, you have 4" lift blocks in the rear? haha, i've seen what lift blocks do to your truck if you hit the wrong stuff...it gets ugly. anyway, for what you would pay for labor/parts etc. on just changing gears, you could probably find some guy on here selling both axles with the stuff already in it for cheaper. I was about to drop 1500 on 4.11 gears in front and back. instead, i found a guy on here with 12 bolt/dana 44 with 4.56 in it and lockers for a grand. I wouldn't really worry about changing anything until you decide to get into higher risk/maintenance abuse.

5. Krase

Krase Registered Member

First I want to say thank you for your response troopie's tonka. And then i would like to comment to Blazer1970. If your attempt was to make me look stupid --i must say thanks. I am not one to reply with petty retorts and such as to your comment you could have simpy said look for threads under 12 bolt or 14 bolt. instead of being a smart a**, but it was pretty funny. anyhow thanks for the help and advice troopie.

6. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with you Krase. We come here to learn and share any knowledge we have with other's to continue to make this a great site. It's a shame that a brotherhood like this can be spoiled by smart and irresponsible remarks to make true "brothers" not want to ask questions to learn. If i wanted a smarta** answer I'd ask a Ford owner. Anyway, thanks troopie for an intelligent response.

7. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

And I also want to apologize to the Sisterhood out there that are devoted K5 members. Please excuse MY ignorance!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. Troopie's Tonka

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif haha, dude you are too funny!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For the current specs for your truck a 12 bolt would be a good set up. One thing you need to first find out is what gear ratio your truck has. 10 bolts frequently got a 3.42 gear that was not very common at all for a 12 bolt. You may need to locate a matched set of axles and swap both at the same time. For 33's and a 700R4 I would recomend trying to locate a set of 3.73 or even better a set with 4.10.. The higher gear ratio will correct for the oversized tires and take a lot of strain off the transmission. 12 bolts typically ran a smaller yoke on the rear axle. the yoke off your current 10 bolt should swap but it's an odd sized pinion seal that you will need. a good auto parts store should be able to cross refference the seals from the originals to get the size they need.

10. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The simplest answer is always the same.... If it isn't broke don't fix it! There are always better setups you could have but if it works, it works.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

His IS broke.

12. Troopie's Tonka

yeah, and we all know that Troopie went to fix something that wasn't broke (axle swap) and here i am still tryin to find the right parts, and bolts, and time, and money, and shims, and ubolts.........the list goes on, but for now, Tonka is parked and I can't play /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif