Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help with chevy PS pump situation.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Mar 21, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

OK, here is my dilemma. The power steering bracketry I need to use is the older, pre metric style with the power steering pump reservoir clocked to the left and not straight up and down. The bracket requires the bolt and the stud in the pump. The PS gear box is the later metric style and therefore the lines are not compatable.

Does anyone know if i can take the high pressure fitting out of the metric pump and put it in the older pre metric pump? Could I take a newer pump and somhow clock the pump in the reservoir? How does the pump attach to the reservoir any way?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just rebuilt my PS pump this weekend. I have a metric pump and I am almost 100% certain you can swap the pressure fitting out between styles of pumps to get the oring seal on the early pump. To remove the pump from the rez remove the pressure fitting and the two bolts from the rear of the rez. Then all you have to do is hold the pump and tap the rez off of the pump. It is sealed by a oring around the pump body and one for each fastener on the rear. I redrilled my bracket in order to clock my pump and rez there is no way to turn the rez around the pump do to the way the two mate together.

Ira

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You can also take that stud/bolt combo and use that in any pump.

Ira

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I verified with WTO that you *CAN* take a metric high pressure fitting and put it into an older style pump.

Yes!:bow:

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I learned that for $14 and about 2 hours of your time you can rebuild and modify a power steering pump rather than buy a new one for $56:D

Ira

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Does your pump still leak?

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Nope:D . I doesn't moan or push air either. And I can stand on the brakes and turn the wheel with 1 finger:D . I did the flow mod by notching and boring the fitting, I removed the shims from the internal valve and filed the internal pin and I stretched the spring to 2.5 inches.

Ira