Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need help with the homemade bumper project again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by achuskies69, Feb 27, 2001.

1. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> ok i have everything measured, plans drawn up, and sketched from every angle and tommorrow evening im gonna start work. It just came to me, these bumpers are gonna be at least twice as heavy, so will the factory bumper mounts hold these stout beasts? im going to use 1/4" steel to make these suckers, so they wont be easy to bend slapping on rocks or trees. What have you other K5'ers done with your home made bumpers? did the stock mounts hold em or did u have to go another route? Does SEC use factory mounts or they have heavy duty stuff? Thanks for the help in advance. i need some answers fast cause the project is about underway!!!!

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I'm making a new front bumper, I took 1/2" steel plate, bolted it to the factory holes. Then tomorrow I am going to take a piece of 2x4 box tubing, cut slits in it and slide it over the 1/2" plate, then weld it. I'm gona attach tow hooks to the plate so the hooks will be pulling on the bolts not a weld. This is not my idea, I got it from Depdog. Can you post the plans? I'm curious. Good luck!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

SEC bumpers have their own custom mounts and braces

[​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Cool pic!! Do you have anymore pics that you could post to give us ideas on how we could make these? Thanks

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Actually I borrowed that pic from Steve's review on the SEC winch bumper

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/secfrontbumperreview.shtml>http://www.coloradok5.com/secfrontbumperreview.shtml</A>

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

6. kenbrown

kenbrown Registered Member

hey, im trying to put some pics together on my bumpers i made on the blue ox in readers rides. hopefuly within the week. i bulit mine out of 3/16 plate and have drug them across many rocks in moab and lifted the truck with bumping obsticles and have never creased or dented them. i think 1/4 is a over kill but hey its all good. anyway i had to make 18" 3/8 plate steel brckets that fil along the frame rail. i tell ya these aint goin anywhere.

ken brown with the " blue ox "

7. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> thanks for all the replys everybody. I emailed SEC and they said that they would sell me both the front and rear mounting brackets for $60.00 plus shipping, and i dont think i can make em for that, so i guess im gonna go with them. Yeah after checking the price of plate steel and the fact i dont need anymore weight than i have to have, i am gonna go with 3/16" instead of 1/4". oh yeah what im hoping to accomplish with both bumpers is to build an interior frame on both of them out of 1" square tubing for the added structure and safety especially because of the K5's gas tank location.
    hopefully i can post the plans and pics, i got started today and i got to go and pick up more supplies sometime this week...

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]