Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need help with tire size

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevysupermudder, Jan 18, 2005.

1. chevysupermudder

chevysupermudder Newbie

i have a stock 81 k5 what would be the biggest tire i should use without breaking anything like an axle

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

depending on the condition of your springs you could fit up to 33s without doing anything, but 32s should fit no matter what

3. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

The skinny pedal regulates breakage:dunno:

It's all in how you use and abuse the rig:whistle:

4. chevysupermudder

chevysupermudder Newbie

tire size

my truck is stock.im stuck on whether i should get a 8inch lift or 6 because i would like to get 38 inch but i dont know if they will break cuz they are so big and the axles arent

5. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I always heard that 10bolts on 1/2tons could handle 33s just fine and 35s were pushing. 38's I'd say if you are just gonna drive it and not wheel it or do burn outs. I'm running 33s on my 85 K10 and my axles are fine, just my gears are too high.

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Im with big jimmy on the breakage issue, i ran a ten bolt for about two years with my old 40s,

[​IMG]

7. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i am thinking of purchasing a 85 k5 with a 3/4 ton up front and a 14 ff rear, it comes with 4 inch coils and leaf spring flip in rear (about 5 in i believe) and a 1 inch body lift on it right now. whats a good tire i can fit? i was thinking maybe boggers but what size? my friend keeps sayign nothing about 35's, i want 38's or maybe 39's o yea it has mild fender trimming and i mostly wheel in mud

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Like mentioned the throttle, driving style, and wheeling type are the major factors in what tire is max. Traction devices make it harder on axleparts to survive also.

On 1/2 ton gear that gets wheeled the max range that will survive with good maintanence and a good driver is 37" or so. This is just a generalization but you get the picture. When you get to 35" tires you enter the breakage range. Anything above that is just pushing your luck harder. You can break things with less then 35's but you have to be doing something you probably shouldn't be doing or just completely throttle happy.

Harley

9. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I ran 10 bolts and 38.5 for about a year the axles were open no problems when i weld the front and put a limited in the rear i broke axle shafts with at 33's but i have a heavy right foot sometimes:screwy:

10. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I think the first thing you need to consider is what gears you have in your axles. My 81' had 10/12 bolt w/ 2.73:eek: :eek: and when I boriginally bought my truck it had 33's. My truck was so sluggish and undergeared. Go look at a gear ratio charts or calculators on google images or go to http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm there are several others.

if you have decent gears the biggest I'd go with your setup is 35's.

Jesse

11. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

well i am looking at getting better gears anyway, right now its 3.73 but i would like to get 4.88

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

If you replace the front axle u-joints often (at least once/yr) and are easy on the throttle you can get by with 38's for a front 10 bolt....I do. Am I shopping for a D60? Yes. ;)

13. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

awesome i was looking at the 38x15.5x15 super swamper tsl radial, sound like a good tire? i see alot of people running them

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Very good tire, I like skinny tires myself as I see no mud, only rocks. I run 38X12.50/15

15. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

you dont think thats a little too much tire for the frive train? once again 10 bolt 3/4 ton front and 14 bolt FF rear with stock 3.73 gears (im wanting 38x15.5x15 tsl radial)

16. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

ive run my ten bolt with 38" tsls and 4.10 gears daily for 3 or 4 months and taken it on 2 or 3 trial run weekends without any probs(knock on wood). my theory is if you dont break it you wont ever have a good excuse to go bigger and better. i have a d60 ready to put in as soon as i can afford srw hubs or someone wants to trade (hint hint). so go big or go home(mainly just have fun with it)

17. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

awesome iwould like to have 4.88 gears and a rear detroit later on, how much did that D60 run you and what vehicle did you get it from?