Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need help with top end overhaul.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Mar 10, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Well, I think its getting coolant into the oil around the intake. Inside the valve covers is the creamy coffee looking foam, but its a thin coat nothing thick. I couldnt see any of the foamy stuff around the rockers at all and when I drained the oil it was nasty and black like old oil looks..but no milk chocolate look. When I take the breather off it has steam coming out of it.

when I put the intake manifold gaskets on I put some rtv around the water ports..I cant imagine this being a problem...

could it just be some moisture in the crankcase?

brent

2. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

If it was just a thin layer it might just be condensation. Do you usually run it in short bursts, where the engine wouldn't be able to come all the way up to temp? If so I believe this could be a cause. If you do drive it for a considerable distance might be something else. Im not sure. This is just my speculation, I am no expert. Just relaying what I've heard. Also might try replacing the breather, maybe it's trapping moisture in..??

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Overkill. My truck gets the same brownish film on the oil fill cap after a week of 2 and 3 mile trips around town. After a trip to the city(about 60 miles), the film is gone.

Take your truck out onto the highway for a good run and check again- it may just disappear!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Very interesting concept. It doesnt ever get up to 180 degrees. It gets to 140 when I am driving and at idle maybe 150. I wonder if thats why. I have the super cool thermostat in it and the electrical fans at a low temp. I changed the oil and added some sea foam today, also I got rid of both breathers and went to just one and an oil fill plug on the other side...it still smoked. Im going to change the thermostat now...we shall see...
    thanks homies