Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I NEED HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordeater, Jul 27, 2004.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, i put in my new 43 gallon gas tank from Northwest Metal Products last week. Everything was fine until i filled up my gas tank yesterday. Then my blazer started dying on me all the time, like if i'm sitting in park, or even at idle, it will die. But, it only does it like every other time i drive it. I don't know if something got in the carb, or what is going on. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm running an edelbrock carb, and i don't know if there is some kind of filter or something internally on the carb. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Check the jets maybe? I'm no expert, but I think it might flood if there's crap in there keeping stuff from seating properly. Definitely put in an inline filter - very cheap and sure to keep the crap out of your carb. You probably want to check all your lines make sure it isn't sucking air somewhere.

3. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

yeah, make sure the carb is fastened down tight, otherwise it can draw in air from underneath, which will kill an engine. I'm not really associated with other parts of the fueling system, but could it be the pump messin up? Whats weird is you say it only does it every other time you drive or so. Awfully weird /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah, i never took the carb off, and everything worked fine before i swapped in the new tank. I didn't realize it didn't have an inline fuel filter until yesterday, when i quickly put one on. So, i didn't know if running it for a day or so maybe got something in the carb.

5. el diablo

el diablo Registered Member

Performer carbs either have a screen behind the fuel inlet fitting, or two small screens in the ports going to the needle valves. Is your fuel system vented? Will it run with the gas cap removed? If it ran prior to putting in the new gas tank I would start there and work you way forward. Did you hook up the fuel lines coming out of the tank correctly?