Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Need Help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jmeti000, Aug 30, 2005.

1. jmeti000

jmeti000 Registered Member

k, heres the deal. i have an 88 k5 with a 4" lift, 35" tires, and a 350 efi engine. for the past few weeks, the engine has been running worse and worse. its hard to start when cold, and even harder when its at running temp. when its cold, the thing bogs down as soon as i press on the throttle, but then goes like no tomarrow. not so much when its warm, but still noticable to me. and it idles like crap...occasionally dying when i go from park to reverse or drive, but starts right back up with the turn of the key. so far ive done the plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor, fuel filter, and o2 sensor, none of which has helped. my fuel filter was extremely clogged, and was wondering if it may have messed up the pump. any ideas or suggestions?? oh, and it smells wicked bad of gas after it does finally start. any help would be great..
    thanks
    me :bow:

2. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a problem with the fuel delivery to me. Hows the tbi system?

3. jmeti000

it doesnt have tbi...the engine actually has port injection. there is no fuel going into the throttle body whatso ever, its just.... air intake..but everything seems to be fine.

4. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

ahh sorry didn't see that it was port injected. Don't know much about port injection systems so can't help you there but I would check the fuel pump. How many miles are on the engine? Also is it a new or rebuilt engine?

5. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

if there is no fuel getting to the throttle body and you've already replaced the fuel filter i would guess the fuel pump or the wiring to the pump???

If your tank is full of junk might be worth while to replace it, or just a good cleaning??

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Go get a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and dump it in your gastank. I don't know nothing bout efi, except that you should use injector cleaner when you feel like you're not getting the power you used to. Don't know if it's just a bandaid or not, but I know it works.

7. jmeti000

the engine is rebuilt with about 47,000 miles on it. is there a way to test the pump without just having to drop the tank and slap in a new one on the off chance thats what it is?

8. jmeti000

tried the injection cleaner...didnt work.

9. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

If your engine has a coolant temperature sensor replace it and see if that helps.

10. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

not sure of a way of testing the pump without dropping the tank. I would see if you have any trouble codes, could be an electrical/computer problem??

11. joshuav

joshuav Newbie

I need help Too!!!

I just got a 1985 k-5 blazer and when I accell it makes a knock knock noise, then once I get up too speed it doesn't make the noise anymore. I just took apart the pumpkin and all the rear end gears are fine. What could it be?

12. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Start a new thread or otherwise not everone will see your question. Welcome to ck5 btw.

13. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Turn the ignition to the accessory position and you should hear the pump priming the system for about 3 or 4 seconds. If you missed hearing it then you'll have to wait 15-20 seconds before it'll want to prime the system again. That'll tell you that the pump is at least functioning. That doesn't mean that it's able to deliver fuel at the correct pressure though.

14. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Just a shot in the dark...

Did you time it correctly after you replaced the cap? Being only about 5 degrees off would cause perfromance like that. Also, if your filter was gunked up, that means that gunk at one point went through the fuel pump. I would definately check the pump, there is a tool for it available at any Autozone. A good fuel injection pump should run at 90lbs or so. It might also be your fuel return lines, they could be gunked and causiung back pressure in lines which would stiffle the injectors.

All in all, at least double check the timing.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On a port setup, fuel doesn't go into the throttle body. Sounds like you have TBI to me.

Port injection means fuel is injected into the intake runner near the cylinder, the intake and throttle body are "dry". TBI injects fuel AT the throttle body, which is essentially what a carb does.

16. jmeti000

so thought id update on whats going on...took it to a mechanics and pulled the codes...map and tps sensors, so they were replaced. then the timing was checked and everything seemed fine. took it for a test spin and still did the same thing, just not quite as bad. so now the only things left are the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulater. so, while the mechanics is dropping my tank, it suddenly becomes noticable that i have a hole in my fuel tank under one of the straps. unfortunatly the job isnt done yet, but will keep this up to date so maybe someone else can get some use out of it. on the brighter side...i will have an almost new truck by the time im done. till tomarrow........ ;)