Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by animal killer, Feb 11, 2007.

1. animal killer

animal killer Newbie

i just got 1983 k5 my first project i am goin to use it for mostly just hunting on my land. i am thinking 4 inch lift and 33'' or 35'' tires i am told i can keep my 700R4 trans if i ad in a new oil cooler for it i am goin to rebuild the 350 but the thing i don;t know is if that tranny will still have over heating problems beacuse i think 83 was still a crappy year for the 700r4 and what gearing to goto in the diffs or if i should change them out to something else?? any advise would help me out alot cause i have never taken on something like this, but i refuse to pay someone else to do this work for me.

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Then you should rebuild your tranny and put in the upgrades. You can get lots of info on Bowtie Overdrives web pages or if you but the kit from them call and get suggestions on what to replace.

3. Mr.Jimmy

Mr.Jimmy Registered Member

MY 700R4 DOESN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, MY K5'S AN 83 AS WELL. I PUT A DANA44 UP FRONT AND A 14 BOLTFF IN REAR STUFFED W/ 4.10S AND I RUN 35" TIRES. iTS A NICE SET UP, BUT IM GOIN WITH 5.13 GEARS, LOCKERS, AND 38TO 40" TIRES AS SOON AS THE FUNDS COME IN.

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

a transmission cooler isn't a guarentee. I added a cooler when I had my 700r4 rebuilt a few years ago, and it has crapped out on me again. I've only been using it for a hunting truck, and the only towing I've done is a small 4x8 trailer with a riding mower on it. just drive it until it goes out on you....you may never have any problems with it.....myself, I'm done with my 700r4

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd say 4" lift and 35's on your axles with 4.56's in the diffs. This set up should give you plety of grunt and keep your trans happy. make sure your TV cable is adjusted properly as this will cause serious problems for a 700

6. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

I have a TCI truckmaster 700r4 in my 87 with 33's. It's a light duty wheeler/winter beater, so far it's working fine (about a year now).

Gearing and axles depned on your use for the truck. Mine still has the stock 3.42 geared 10 bolt's, and for what I use it for, it's fine. Don't let people get u all hyped up into thinkin you need Rockwell's and 42's if all you're gonna do with it is some trail rides and light duty stuff.