Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by myfirstk5, Mar 18, 2002.

1. myfirstk5

myfirstk5 Newbie

ok im new to the board and i need some help i picked up a 75 k5 the drive train is very solid the body is kinda rough but the intereor is a total loss what other year k5's can i get an intereor from to swap into this one or am i beter off goin all out custom this is realy gonna be a tow vehicle for my trail rig/daily driver so i want it to look decent

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

check out lmc they have a pretty big selection of interior and exterior replacement parts-

I redid my interior with black velux appolstry material- ( i can't spell !)...

I took all the trim pieces off, the headliner, up the doors, etc... and cleaned them up super good- wiped them down with distilled alcohol, and sprayed the headliner spray on them.. sprayed the spray on the cloth as well, put it on each piece pulling very tightly- worked slick! Plus, nobody I know has a velux interior... Even the headliner has stayed up so far...as for the floors- fix the floors first- then the consensus here is either POR 15, or a herculiner, rhino type then either put carpet over that, or leave it plain....

good luck!
    Brandy

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The factory seats from 75 were pretty basic. I would look for seats out of a late 80's up trucks. Either score a set out of a K5 or improvise. My 75 runs middle row Captains chairs out of a early 90's Mitsibishi Mini van. They are deluxe! tilt back, double arm rests, swivle 360 degrees. The real clincher is the seat tracks were 3ft long!. I did cut them down a lot but I still have more passender side seat travel for getting people into the back seats than any other K5 you will ever see /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I can put a big contico chest through the passenger side door. The rear seats are the front seats out of the same van. I didn't need the fold and tumble feature so it worked out well. Other seats to look for are full size extended cab trucks without rear doors. the passenger seat will had the double slides to get it out of the way for rear seat passengers. Lot's of folks running leather seats out of Burbs here also.
    LMC and a few other companies sell replacement seat covers in every color imaginable so I would find fronts you like first then recover the rear to match. Same with door pannels and dash pads. A few people have gotten rid of the fixed rear seats and went with the fold and tumbles from 78 up. You will have to do a little welding to instal the latch pockets into the floor but not a very difficult job.

4. myfirstk5

myfirstk5 Newbie

thanks i found a late 80's im gonna pull everything out of the interior(all but the carpet its shot) is realy nice im tossing around the idea of swaping in the diesel from the newer one too since this is going to be for towing another truck on a trailer what do you think diesel or stick with the 350