Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by achuskies69, Feb 4, 2001.

1. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

ok here is the deal:
    i am getting ready to put in a dana 44 and a GM 12 bolt out of a 1972 Blazer under my 82 that has GM 10 bolts front and rear. What am i going to have to do as far as being able to mount them and is there going to be any steering changes on the Dana? I am planning on putting a 4" lift on it and will i have to order a lift for a 72 or just for my 82?
    thanks for any help you can give me here....

<font color=orange> if you cant beat 'em, drive over 'em </font color=orange>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

first the 72 has a narrower rear than your 82 so it will not be a direct bolt in someone correct me if i am wrong. i am not sure about the front but i think it will bolt right in. as 4 the lift you should order it 4 your 82

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm kinda curious as to why? The 12 is only marginally stronger than a 10 for the rear. A Dana 44 and a 10 bolt may as well be twins strength wise, so there is no gain there, actually I believe the early Dana 44's had a smaller axle u-joint so it would be a strength loss. Does the Dana 44 have disc brakes? Drums would suck.
    Unless your 10 bolts have some highway gears and the 12 and 44 have the gears you want and are built I can't see the reason for all the work. The perches will have to be moved on the 12 bolt. I doubt the Dana 44 will bolt right up either. I could be wrong on that though.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

Ok, my 10 bolts are geared 3.08 and im running 33's under a stock suspension and i found the 44 and 12 bolt, geared 3.73, and got both of them and a NP205 for $150.00 for it all. Thats why i am wanting to do this, plus i didnt want to run 35's in the future with my 10 bolts. How much shorter is the 12 Bolt going to be in the rear? What steering mods am i going to have to make to get this to work?

<font color=orange> if you cant beat 'em, drive over 'em </font color=orange>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I knew there had to be a decent reason![​IMG]
    On the 12 bolt the perches are about 2" or so too narrow. Measure up the distance between the perches on your rear 10 bolt. I would peel the perches off, put your 4" lift in and then weld the new perches in with the right pinion angle. You'll kill two birds with one stone this way and won't need shims. As for the front, again I'm not sure what the differences are if any. The best thing is to take some measurements and compare. I don't think the steering set-up is any different, but maybe the perch width is. There are many first gen guru's here and I'm sure you'll get a more definitive answer before long.
    Another minor alteration might be rear shock mounts, but you'll have the torch, welder and grinder out for the perches anyways. As always when welding on an axle make sure your ground is not attached to lugs or anywhere else that'll cause the current to flow through bearings and all. Try to keep your ground on the piece you're welding (shock mount, perch etc.)

Rene

[​IMG]