Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need 'Lift Kits' explained (Please)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

I need \'Lift Kits\' explained (Please)

Hi all, me again,

I know that you can get 'Body' lifts and 'Suspension' lifts, but what are the differences between them? I mean what is involved, what one is the easiest? and what would you recommend and why.

I did do a search but couldn't really find anything conclusive on the subject.

Cheers guys/girls /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kia.

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Re: I need \'Lift Kits\' explained (Please)

Body lift = putting a 1", 2", or 3" piece of plastic between your body and the frame.

Suspension lift = putting distance between your frame and your axles via springs with larger arcs in them (and more often than not in the rear, blocks between the stock springs and the axle instead of new springs).

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

A body lift will raise your body from the frame,using 1",2" or 3" spacers, to give you the lift you want. On a suspension lift you replace your front springs with a more postive arch spring to gain your lift you want. In the back you have alot of options on the suspension lift -- you can use blocks, springs, add-a-leaves, shackle flips or any combination of those together to give you your lift.

Both body lifts and suspension lift are pretty involved and that really depends on how much height you want too increase your truck. The higher you go gernerally the more involved you will get with each kind of lift.

Some people run both a body lift and a suspension lift or just one of the other. I personally have just a 1" body lift and a 2.5" suspension lift right now. I plan on going up a little more on the suspension lift, but not too much. I like the suspension lifts better because it yields in more suspension travel and wheel accomadate a bigger tire and wheel depending on what size you go with. Just my .02 worth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hope this answers some of your questions it's hard to make it real clear cause there are so many options out there to consider when building your truck. Just do alot of research and ask alot of questions before you start buying anything for your truck and you will be alot happier with the outcome.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    2.5" suspension lift right now

[/ QUOTE ]
    What kit/springs did you use? Is it much different from the factory heigth? Hows the highway driving and stability in cornering doing the 2" kit? I want to boost my daily driver a little.
    You have any pics, tire sizes, brake line issuses?
    Thanks, Jeremiah
    [​IMG]

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

The kit I have on my K5 is the superlift 2.5" springs front and rear. I used trailmaster ssv shocks, which are self adjusting to road or trail conditions, and the ride is pretty smooth. It actually handles better than stock these springs are fairly stiff, not real soft. I run 305/70r16 Mickey Thompson Baja radial claws on 16x8 Eagle rims and I have no clearance issues on or offroad. Oh yeah I also have a 1" ORD body lift. On the brake lines I just lowered my factory braket a little bit.

You can see pics of my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif in the members ride area /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies so far...

If I wanted to drive it daily but wanted it raised, what would you recomend?

I have been in one that was jacked up sooooo high that it was like driving a truck with SQUARE wheels!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kia.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have the 4" Superlift springs at all four corners..just my opinion but I don't like lift blocks especially on these rigs which commonly have mushy worn out rear springs.

I drive mine about 40 miles a day to/from work...I think the ride improved drastically over stock (stiffer but better) less body roll in corners..anyway hope all that helped.
    p.s. Little slow cars in the fast lane move over for you tooo when you are lifted especially at night...LOL /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    p.s. Little slow cars in the fast lane move over for you tooo when you are lifted especially at night...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I need it for!!! lololol

No seriously, I always wanted a Blazer and I think raising it makes it look just that bit better, I'm not going to be trailing in it, maybe some dirt tracks, but nothing heavy so I need it to handle good and be able to take corners without leaning too much.

I think the spring lift would be better overall but is there any place on the net with some good info on how to do this? (pictures + text) and how much would it cost?

Kia.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, you really need to decide what size tires you want to run, then decide on the lift. Lets say you want to go with some 35" Superswampers. Then I'd recomend a 6" suspension lift. You can do 35" tires with a 4" suspension and trim you fenders, or a 2" body lift. Lots of options, all depends on what you want. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif