Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I NEED MORE HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Aug 15, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I want to know what upgrades i can buy that will iv me the best horsepower for my money. I really want to be able to burn my tires (i doubt ill be able to)but im just sick of little kia's spankin my ass on the road, its JUST ISNT RIGHT! The stuff id like to to know about is: best ignition (distributor, coil, etc), exhaust (headers, mufflers etc), and anything else i can add or replace on my truck that will give me better HP and MPG. BTW im not a rich guy so it has to be reasonable, and something i can do in my driveway (mostly) Also, is it ok if i convert my column shifter to a floor shifter? what are the steps in doing that. Floor shifter look so cool! Thanks alot!!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what size tires and what gears do you have? gears are the best way to get lost horse power back

3. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

i have 35's and stock gears. I know i know...they suck, but icant afford to change them. How much would it cost and what size gears in a 12 bot would i need?

4. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Looks like you need more stickers. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

JB

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

stock gears could be anything from 308's to 3:73's with 35's i would run 4:10's and you would be very happy /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and you dont need to spend the $1000 to 1500 to change gears just put a 14ff with 4:10's you can get them for under $200 and then get a 8lug dana 44 with 4:10's for under $300 then you would also have the streangth of the 14ff /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i had a 12bolt with 3:73's and 33's and i shaterd my 12bolt in the sand/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Your profile says Dana 60s with 4.56s

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Bolt-on on a budget, eh? Set of good headers and 2 1/4" exhaust should do the trick. You'll probably hurt performance if you go 2 1/2" unless you've got some BIG power. A fresh HEI would help too. I like the MSD HEI coil and module, while others are happy with genuine GM parts. Avoid Acell or parts store cheapies. A good advance curve would help things out too. I have 16 degrees initial, 36 at 3,000 rpm and 8 degrees vac advance on ported. It all varies motor by motor, but I guess you can see the difference between the old stock 4 initial, 24 degrees mechanical in by redline and 20 degrees vacuum advance.

I would save the camshafts, intakes, and heads for a fresh motor when you save up some bucks.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well if all you want to do is spank cars on the road its time to go <font color="red"> On The Bottle</font color>
    Get a nitrous oxide system(NOS) and a set of headers. I can guarentee you will say godbye to all your Kia problems /forums/images/icons/grin.gif