Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Need More Power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, Feb 21, 2006.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Ok so i'm running a 350tbi/700r4. Stock setup with 33" bfg's. Last summer I pulled my tent trailer with my wife two girls and a 120lbs lab. I live in Idaho and there are more then a few passes...I NEED MORE POWER! What would be the best hp improvements for the least amount of money? exhaust? chip? gears?
    Thanks for your help

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

All 3 , but mostly the gears . Especially if you have never changed them when going larger on tires .

3. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Damn...thats what I figured too...looks like an axle swap would be the best way to go?

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you installed it yourself, a cam would be a fair amount of bang for the buck. I believe that the Edelbrock #3702 cam grind is TBI & computer compatible. It's got an LSA of 112 deg, so it shouldn't confuse the O2 sensor at idle the way that a hotter grind could.

5. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I've got 150,000 miles on the engine....(i think) So i'm a bit worried about suppin up the motor with a cam. Don't want to cause somthing to go bang!

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

gears for sure. whether you swap axles or not, this is a great way to get some grunt back.

id also do a custom computer tune. many will tell you this is one of the better bang for buck performance upgrades for a computer controlled vehicle. definately do it after the gears though, as that is something considered when the tune is made.

pcmforless.com, wait4meperformance.com, nelsonperformance.com are a few places you can start your search, as ive heard great things about all 3.

7. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Great thanks for your help, I just email a guy that had a set of 3/4 ton 10bolt/14sf with 4.10 for a $100. If he still has them i think i'll get them. What sucks is I have new 15" tires and these are 8 lug axles

8. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I think by the time you spend the coin for gear's , exhaust and a chip you could have a fresh built 350 or 383 longblock built for pulling power with just a decent exhaust and do the chip for not much more money . you also stated your rig has got 150,000 miles on it so it really would be best to start with a new fresh/healthy motor then to start bolting parts on a tired old motor . make sure you got a big tranny cooler for that 700r4 . your towing and you got some big hill's out there and heat will kill that tranny . good luck . :hack: :burb:

9. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

Might be cheaper to regear your axles by the time you buy new wheels and tires too.

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'd buy the axles and just wait for a deal on some tires and wheels to come around.

Does it have stock exhaust? You can just change your muffler and free up some power.

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Get a set of 15" 8 lug rims. I found mine used for $75 for 4. Think you can find em at summit for around $40 each for steelies.