Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need more power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JayG, Jun 5, 2000.

1. JayG

JayG Registered Member

I have a 305 in my 86 blazer and it has no power to it right now, it cant spin the tires in gravel and it loses alot of speed when going up hills, it also has no pickup either. What can I do to increase the power without putting a 350 in because I dont have the money to buy a new engine.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Tune ups, either upgrade the HEI (factory ignition) or add MSD ignition, bump the timing to the limit (advance) that it can tolerate without pinging, intake manifold (like an Edelbrock Performer), headers, free flowing exhaust (duals with high flow catalytic converters and Flowmaster mufflers), make sure carb is "tweaked" by a pro. I'm sure the boys on the board will add to my list.

BTW, do you know the Faulkner boys (Scott, JD or Mike)? Read in your profile you're from Erie and they all are hockey nuts, especially Scott. They own F&S Tool there in Erie on Powell. Let me know.

<font color=blue>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=black>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Almost forgot.....rear end gears will help also. You may have 3.42's from the factory, changing them to 4.11's will help (of course, don't know if your tires are factory or if you increased the diameter of them).

<font color=blue>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=black>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

It needs to breathe, get an open air filter setup (K&N If you can if not edelbrock makes them cheaper), Run new exhaust and..oops maby forget to put the cat back on and put a pipe in its place. Get a Cheapo glasspack to open up the exhaust. I used 104+ octaine booster in my old 305 and I could tell a difference. Also tune things up with some good plugs and wires, HEI, also maby replace the EGR valve..some times they can get a little sticky after time. You can advance the timing too, that is the cheapest upgrade around.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Mine was doing the same thing when I got it. I just did a overall tune-up, and that perked it right up[​IMG].

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]