Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need new exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Jul 14, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, im getting ready to do a full exhaust system on my 89 k5. I would like to get some Thorley Headers but they are to much $$$, does any body make a comparable header that is cheaper? I would also like to go true dual with a crossover tube with another cat, or would making it go into one 3" tube be better? I also dont have to worry about smoggin it. Just need some opinions. Thanks in advance

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

im about to do a full exhaust on mine...

advance auto parts headers...3 inch pipe all the way back with dual flowmasters...

thats it no cats...my buddy did it on his 87 and it sounded awesome

oh by the way were tacking a nut onto the header tube for the o2 sensor so that wont be a problem either

Later

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

how far back does the 02 sensor have to be? cuz i'm about to do it too, i have a set of thorleys that my uncle gave me and i'm gonna do 3" all the way, high flow cat. and flowmaster 50 series.

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I put mine in the collector so that I wouldn't have to drill my coated headers.

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

not sure if there is any certain distance or anything like that but mine is going in on the collector tube a few inches back from the actual collector...

im pretty sure thats about where it needs to be

Later

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok i'll try that, if it starts spittin codes out at me, i'll move it.

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Doesnt it just have to close enough to make sure it gets heated to operating temp? Anybody know any good headers? I have flowtechs right now, but I want to replace them because they hit the frame.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The O2 sensor is attached to a wire. I'm sure that as long as you don't have to extned the wire, your cool. Too far away from that, and it may casue problems

9. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I had to extend my line for it to reach. I was getting a lean code but it has stopped(SHHH Don't say anything) for now. If the sensor doesn't heat up enough it simply will not go into closed loop if I understand correctly. You can go to a 3 wire sensor that will heat its self to help it to go into closed loop quicker. I will be doing this when time/funds allow. I wanted to check for leaks at the collector but it won't stop raining long enough to do anything /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . I have DynoMax coated headers. I had to remove the diff bump stop and get a shorter oil filter for it to fit. I also cut the bracket for the alt.

James