Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need new lifters for the K30.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jun 15, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm running a Comp Cam's camshaft/lifter assembly and want to know which brand of lifters is the best to get the best performance and longetivity for life.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you use anything other than the Comp Cams lifters, then they won't warranty the cam if anything should go wrong with it. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Why do you need new lifters? Tick? Is the performance off?

4. thatK30guy

They clatter and the truck runs like it's missing real badly. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ohhh Man, I'm not really a big-block guy, so take it with a grain.
    But I seem to recall the big-blocks haveing a oiling problem.
    Not enough oil getting to the lobes, causeing them to go flat.
    Result - possibly lifter clatter (tick) and poor performance (dead-holes / engine miss).

I hope thats not the case Wes.
    If it is, I think there are A.M. "oilers" that help, but it's going to need a cam/lifters too.

6. thatK30guy

Yep, you're right, numbers 7 and 8 are the biggest culprits to oil failure on nearly all BBC's. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Bob Cherveny (can't remember his shop's name) makes an oiler for the BBC's. I saw a write-up on Shawns Potent Rodent on the orc.com site and he has this oiler on that 496 motor. It's simply a steel tubing with holes in it that place the oil flow right above each opening of the cam lobes and lifter areas.

I have thought of checking into this item. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I'm hoping not to replace the cam, but once I pull the valve covers off to watch the rocker arms, I will see if they are rocking to the full lift or not. Hopefully the push rods will look good, too. If all is ok, that's why I'm hoping to replace just the lifters. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I kinda fugured you knew about that.
    Wasn't sure how to tell you the bad news tho'.

8. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I fourtanly found out about the oiling problem the hard way went thru 4 cams in my 454 and sold the motor for dirt cheap, put in a 383 and saw the guy one day and he told me, about the problem and how he fixed it, I about cried. Jesse

9. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have had good luck with Rhoads lifters on many engines. We only used them when getting a custom cam ground.

10. thatK30guy

There's your problem right there....you sold the 454 for dirt cheap! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

You can sell these 454's on eBay for "raping" prices! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Seems like there is just about ANYBODY willing to pay outrageous prices for these motors. Regardless of the problem or condition, they will still pay. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

That's why I have spares and extra 454's and parts. I don't really like to part with them or sell them.

And yeah, some of you may ask why I don't rebuild one to drop in place of my current 454. The reason is simple: the 454 in the truck right now has a steel crank, aftermarket goodies in it, and ran good, before it started acting up now. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

11. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

actually my biggest problem was not knowing, as GI joe alway said knowings half the battle? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. thatK30guy

For your future knowledge and info:

A used BBC to be used as a rebuilder can fetch $500 easily.

A good running BBC that does not need rebuild can fetch $1000 or more, depending on several factors. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif