Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need new shocks poll.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kyser_soze, Jun 27, 2005.

?

Which shocks are best?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2005.
  1. Bilstein

30 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Edelbrock

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Rancho

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Procomp

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I need a new set of shocks and would like any suggestioons for a brand with reliability and handeling.
    These main use for this truck is daily driving and towing with occcasional light offroading.

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

on a leafsprung vehicle yo will never get a good ride, especially when you add taller springs and softer tires.

i would go with the cheapest ones you can find, like autozone stuff. they get the job done just as good as the rest of them.

i chose ettlebbbbbrockkk because i have run them before and they werent too bad on the street.

im looking at the 4wheeler mag right now and there is a deal on mx - 6 procomp shocks for 199 tho

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Recently installed Bilstein 7100s on the front and 5150s on the rear.
    The truck is a '98 Dodge Ram, Diesel. FWIW, before I would spend money on a multiple shock setup I would just buy some quality shocks.

4. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

i liked KYBs on my 4runner and the 2wd s10 i used to have till i busted it up pretty badly.

i might try them on my DD k5 soon.

so ill be following this thread closely.

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I have been in many rigs with Ranchos and I have a new set for my rig, but I here most guys say that will pound the #$% out of you.

6. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

I use the Gabriels from Autozone. They ride good and for $80 for all four with a life time warrenty its hard to beat.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pretty much any twin tube shock will pound the crap out of you with leaf springs at all four corners. The more expensive monotubes are often valved specifically for leafs or coils. For leafs they are valved softly on compression, and more aggressively valved on rebound. This allows the leaf to easily compress and soak up a bump, but not rebound quickly. The quick rebound you get with twin tube shocks is what causes the bucking and harsh ride.

Rene

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my k5 rides on the street just fine. Its different from a Cadillac, but its not 'bad'.

anyway, it depends on your budget really. If you have the coin, go for some Bilstein monotubes. If you're poor, twin tube shocks are pretty much all the same... just get some gabriels for $20/ea at the parts store.

j

9. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I went with the best shock that was on stock, and that meant Rancho 9000s. Since it was my daily driver and weekend wheeler, I wanted a good shock, and only wanted one at each corner.

I had Rancho 5000s on the K5 before this, and they rode like crap!

I personally prefer Bilsteins, but 4WParts did not have any on stock; besides, I bought 3 shocks and got 1 free :D

10. google

google 1/2 ton status

I got the ranchos cause they were good and they weren't too expencive. The have been great for me so far

11. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

i ran procomp es9000's on a 4" lifted truck very stiff! went up to 7" lift, same truck only with bilstein 5150's :saweet: