Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need pics of your custom rear shock mounts.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to debate on where to mount my rear shocks. I have been looking at mounting them from right beside the spring perch inward toward the center. It's a DD with moderate offroading, so I need what ever will be the best setup that will work for both situations. I'm not planning on putting them up and through the floor board so that's out. I can get any size shock needed so that's not a problem either. I'm putting the Bilstein 5150's on the front and the same on the rear. If you have pics, let's see 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

How long are those??

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How long are those??

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are 14" travel 5150s.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's my setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    How long are those??

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are 14" travel 5150s.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ummm nope those are " i dont know what length they were on the truck when i got them rancho rs9000's that will be coming off as soon as i can afford more bilstien 5150's" /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's a couple to make you scratch your head...... Rancho 9012's installed outside the leafpacks and NOT going through the bed OR inboarded:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a custom lower mount (obviously!) and the upper mount is made possible due to a 2" body lift. As you can see from the last picture, I also didn't have to angle it forward very far forward to get the necessary clearance....I managed to fit a 12" travel shock in there and didn't have to cut up my truck to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Do you have or can you get any detailed/close up pics of the upper mounts? I'm needing to mount or wanting to mount the same size shock on the rear of my 77 dodge m880. I don't want to do the stnd. /\, I feel you loose alot of shock perf. this way especially on road.

9. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have or can you get any detailed/close up pics of the upper mounts? I'm needing to mount or wanting to mount the same size shock on the rear of my 77 dodge m880. I don't want to do the stnd. /\, I feel you loose alot of shock perf. this way especially on road.

[/ QUOTE ]

The upper mount is kind of "automatic" when you finish figuring out the lower mount bracket, and decide how much piston you want showing at static ride height. Once those items are decided, there's really only one spot for the upper mount to land.

You can probably use those same F*rd shock towers in the rear also....that's what I'll be doing in the next couple of weeks. I can take some updated pictures once that's completed. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Greg---the updated pics would be great--that's about when I should have the rear suspension done on the truck and getting ready to mount the shocks.

I'm using the F250 towers up front with the bottom curved portion cut off so the towers don't turn outward. It causes interference prolbems with the steering shaft on the driver's side. Should do fine otherwise. I might look into using them on the back as well.

Thanks for the info and ideas!

12. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

whats the advantage of running the shocks like this/\ over stock location?

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

you can run longer shocks which will not be in the way when flexed up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

remember though, the further off from vertical the shock is mounted the less effective it is.

15. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm trying to debate on where to mount my rear shocks. I have been looking at mounting them from right beside the spring perch inward toward the center. It's a DD with moderate offroading, so I need what ever will be the best setup that will work for both situations. I'm not planning on putting them up and through the floor board so that's out. I can get any size shock needed so that's not a problem either. I'm putting the Bilstein 5150's on the front and the same on the rear. If you have pics, let's see 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Clearly somebody put some time and money into the top pic, probably for a show truck. That bottom one though is just plain scary. Those are the biggest blocks I've ever seen on a lift........ /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Somebody please tell me where this truck is located. I need the four shocks in the middle. This would make life much easier if I could get them all off one end of the truck....

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Look for the driver. I bet his teeth have rattled so hard they disintegrated. He'll be the guy at the show sipping his nachos and cheeseburger through a straw.....

19. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

check my webshots in my signature i have a howlin off road rear shock relocation kit, made by 55willy on this site.