Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need rocker boxes!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The rocker boxes are completely rotted away on my truck and its causing the front of the tub to sag. This makes the doors and top not fit correctly. If anyone has a set or knows where I can get some, please email me imediatly.

Oh yeah Steve thanks for the 1st gen forum this is cool!</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Have you thought of having some custom made. This is what i was gonna do if i coulnd't find a replacement set. How is the underside of your truck otherwise..ie rocker panels etc. You may be better off going this route and welding them in unless you mounting surfaces are in good shape. Just a thought.
    Chris

3. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>My driver's side rocker is gone. All the fab shops I went to said they would need another set to copy, so I guess I'll have to make a set myself</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

4. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I have my set off right now... Let me see if i can make a sketch of them for you then i can post it here or email it too you. Did they give you any kind of a price on the fab yet..around here it is about 400 i think.

5. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Theres a guy in south Jersey that had a set for $500. It was the last set so they're probly gone now. It's still an option but I cant see putting $500 into a junk tub that I'm just going to dent and scratch more (its a trail truck). I have some pictures of some on my computer, but they're very large pictures and whoever cut the boxes out took half the floor with them so you cant really tell what is what. If you have some pictures of some off or scetches, that would help a lot. Thanks!</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

6. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

It funny you mention that b/c i am from South Jersey. i got mine from a guy out west. One needs a ptch but other than that tey are a little rusty and i am gonna sand blast them and coat them with rustpreventative and por15..then weld them into the tub. I paid 100 or 120 for them from the guy. I know there is a guy in PA that has like 13 differnt trucks and blazers he is gonna part...if I can find his email I will shoot it out to you.

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

BTW if those ictures are off of the old board those are the boxes i got..he sent them with the floor and I had to seperate them..more work than i thought. anyway... I use the floor pieces for patchwork too : ) I will get some measurements tomorrow if i can.. they are at my job but it may be underwater with all ths rain we are having the next few days. By the weekend i will get them for sure.

8. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Yeah they're from Blazer-Net. Some measurements would be cool when you can get them. Thanks!</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

9. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

is there a reason you cant use some 2x2 box metal and weld in some new supports? My boxes on my 75 and 72 are prety well shot and was thinking of just boxing then in with tube.

Bigmeats

Carl Fiocca...Manhattan Il...75 Blazer

10. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

How much are you willing to spend i know of a bone yard about an hour away that has 2 or 3 1st gen blazers i can go check them out if you want.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>

11. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I dont see why that wouldnt work. That looks like my only option. As soon as it finally gets warm enough outside to work I'll take the nose and doors off and try and straighten the thing out. </font color=blue>

[​IMG]

12. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Just so you know..you dont want to take off the doors if you are welding in new boxes.. You need to have them and the top on in order to keep everything lined up good. Just an FYI

13. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Yeah when I make something to take the place of boxes, I'll have my doors on. Before I can think about that, I have to have rocker panels first! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look real close, thats whats left of my rocker panel flapping in the breeze there! I have a set here I just need the weather to tun so I can work outside.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

14. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

when you make the boxes please email me at jeffreyb07_@hotmail.com I need to make some also and I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks
    Jeff

Don't drive it unless it says Chevy!

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Just a thought here but I am also replacing my rocker panels but I am not gonna use new ones instead I am gonna put 3x3 square tubing inplace of the rockers. Now when I go wheeling and slam on an obstical it wont bend the sheetmetal just bang on the steel and slide right over[​IMG]...... I am building mine for rocks and such so duno what kinda wheelin you plan on doing but just a thought!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re No you don\'t! get creative!

Yeah my truck is a 75 but simular set up. My rockers are now 4x4 box. I built a new floor suport and foward cab mount out of 1x2 box. To fix the door sag problem I ran a peice of 1x2 up the A piller from the bottom and blind nuted it from the kick pannels. I have almost zero cowel shake. It has less shake than my rust free 70 Pontiac.
    Click the link to my page below. Pictures of the sub frame are in crusty Dollar and some of the 4x4 rockers (also air tanks) in the mods section.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>