Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some advice *DELETED*

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by the_goat, Jan 15, 2004.

1. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by the_goat

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Re: I need some advice

Hey Goat,

I noticed that he advertises a "355 V8".... yet he shows this image: [​IMG]
    Dude..... that's no 355 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif - that's a RAT motor!.... So I'd be skeptical of all driveline parts in it. does it really have an O/D trans...? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Marv

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

. I think you are looking at the valve covers and noticed they are not 4 bolt or center bolt. I have a set like that on my 89 R/S 350. It is an adapter that you can get from Summitt that converts from center bolt to circumfrance bolt pattern on the valve cover.....
    Who knows, I may be wrong on that one,,,
    John

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by chevyracing

5. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

your right Marv that sure looks like a big block to me. Looks like my 396 in my old crewcab. Big Valve covers and look at the heads where the headers bolt up. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. marv_springer

John,

Perhaps you're right....

But every small block I've seen has the 2 center exhaust ports adjacent to each other: [​IMG]
    Marv

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Some camaro's and such had GM cast headers. They were a big deal for a while, little leaking, easy plug access, and OE. If this car had those though they would be worth mentioning. Adapter or not, those covers look awfuly wide to me. Not to mention the larger radius on the corners (compare corners on the covers with marv's pic)

8. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status

I just noticed on the ad that it has dark tint, black interior, and power mirrors. Did you guys see any of this?
    Thanks for the comments so far. I was kind of hoping that you guys would see something not right with it, that way I may be able to sleep tonight. Last night all I could think about was how to get it 2300 miles to Phx. Iwas getting so bad that I was thinking about calling in to work today and driving it back before school starts on Tues.
    Thanks again,
    John

9. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to put a 700r4 in a car like this. Would it be worth doing?
    John

10. marv_springer

[ QUOTE ]
    How hard is it to put a 700r4 in a car like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think it would be too hard.....

The point I was tryin' to make is that this seller must not be very familiar w/ this car if he doesn't know what engine is in it. So, how can you trust any of his claims /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif about the condition or equipment on the rest of the car?

Marv

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

FWIW, it also says electric fuel pump but you can clearly see the mechanical. Also "power hatch" on a car with a trunk lid (not a hatch). Seems like they did make a hatchback those years, but that does not appear to be one...

[Edit] Here is another point of advice. Ever been to Florida? I used to live not far from there and I'll tell you that EVERYTHING rusts almost as bad as in the salt up north. My step father had a hotrod El Camino in N AL that was immaculate and showed no signs of rust. Three years after moving to the Gulf it was a rust bucket. Even the chrome valve covers were rusted. Rust crawled out from under the chrome trim, perforation appeared where it had never had any before, the thing just tanked in a few years, he lost his behind on it... Point is, I would be looking for a SW car. The whole country loves the SW iron and often come out here to get a clean rust free car. You live here, so take advantage of it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif There’s got to be something like you want here or in the surrounding arid states.

12. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Marv,
    You are absolutely 100% correct on calling that a big-block. It is. Your info on siamesed center exhaust ports is correct for the "Gen I" small-block. Small-blocks also have four valve cover bolts and big-blocks have seven.
    Good call /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Goat,
    A 700R4 can be put into one of these. It is NOT a simple bolt in though. Some fab work is required depending what cross-member you use as the trans hits the trans tunnel before it is completely in (I really wished I knew this before I began). Not terrible, but not an afternoon project.

14. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status

I am no longer looking at getting it but I thought that this was interesting. He e-mailed me tonight asking if I was talking about his Camaro or his Nova. I am wondering if he put the info for the Camaro with the Nova pics. Oh well, Thanks for everyone's reply.
    John