Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some advice for speakers and amp

Discussion in 'Audio' started by randy88k5, Sep 29, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, I have a CD/MP3 player, and I love it. It works great. 52x4 I believe.

[​IMG]

I am currently running 5 1/4" Sony Xplod 3 ways in the bottom of the door, and Infinity (old ones, not sure of model) 6"x9" in the rear panels where the original 4"x10" went. Also running ~200 watt Sony amp powering 2 8" Pyramid subs that sit next to the armrests of the rear seat.

I would like to get new speakers, and maybe put another set in another location. I had my best friend show me some stuff, but I realized he talks a lot, but doesnt know technical stuff, other than "this is a good brand."

I need new sub speakers and amp. Amp probably got a little wet (the bottom was rusty), and it started to cut in and out.

Im not looking for bling bling sound, but I do want a nice sound for the price. I do drive this everyday, and I enjoy road trips. For some reason, I just couldnt get the volume without distortion. Even with all the windows open, you couldnt really hear much from 20 ft away. I need some upgrades...

Im looking for a range of around $500, could go up to $1000 if really needed.

What should I do???

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of the Infinity Kappa's. Great sounding speakers. Amps, I like MMATS, US Amps, PPI. Subs, I currently run a single 12" Kicker L7. Sounds pretty impressive for just one sub. I've seen heck of good deals on 10" TREO Engineering subs on Ebay lately, new, not used or refurbished. Can you turn off the inturnal amp in your head unit ?? Running it as a deadhead will clean up the sound alot.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Ill check all those out and post back with what I find, thanks a lot.

4. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

If I may suggest a simple system for you:

put some inline crossovers (Bass Blockers) on your current speakers I'm guessing here but somewhere around 300-400Hz on the 5.25s and around 200Hz on the 6X9s. Your a little vague about the 8" subs... are they in the side panels, or in boxes?

If the 8s are in the rear panels and are still functional I suggest you leave them and buy a 4 channel amp that can bridg to 3 channels and has in built in variable crossover. Power the 8s and cross them over around 100-200Hz and use them as a psuedo mid-bass, then run the third (bridged) channel to a 10" or 12" sub in a box of your listening choice (rock/country I suggest eaither a sealed or ported box, rap I suggest a bandpass box) Also when you buy a sub, please get one that has as high a SNR that you can afford, a more efficient sub requires less power to drive it and thus you dont have to buy a million watt amp to get decent bass.

The above system should get you some listenable tunes at 20' and utilizes alot of the equipment that you already have :)

Of course you could just drive the rig to your local shop tell them what you want and drop a grand on the counter and pick it up later that afternoon :)

This is just my opinion of a system for you, there are sure to be others that might/will be better.. just thought I would offer up my thoughts.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi if you are looking for clean sound, the best way would to be to go with a component setup in the front, this way you get a real tweeter, anice mid and a crossover all in one package. These are the best sounding lower price speaker I have ever heard! They sound better than alot of High dollar speakers!link
    Here is a link to a great amp , it can power all your speakers in one unit.
    here is a 12" sub that would work well. I use this sub in a sealed box in my blazer and sounds good! hits hard and sounds clean for the price.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/

simple answer :waytogo:

dude i had install the equpiment in my Burb has all this stuff in a comp van he built,,it sounds awsome, very clean, and actually is not bad on the pricing for the quality you get.