Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some advice - I'm looking for a utility trailer.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, May 27, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I need some advice - I\'m looking for a utility trailer.

I'm going to be needing a uitlity trailer for behind the K5 to transport stuff to my new property. I've towed tons of smaller equipment trailers at work but these are all professionally built tandem axle trailers. What do I need to know about single axle 6' x 8-12' trailers? What should I look for?

I'll be moving lots of building materials, tools, etc, so I need a sturdy rig capable of towing a couple of thousand pounds.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: I need some advice - I\'m looking for a utility trailer.

Easy......go to the nearest U-Haul in the middle of the night and "borrow" a trailer. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Make sure you remove the i.d. plate and repaint the sob!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

underslung axle, bulldog hitch, sealed lighting, stuff like that.

John

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Man do I know trailers. lol, I build the damn things. All day everyday. Haha, Check out my webshots page under the work pictures album. There are some pics of the trailers we build in there. As far as what to look for....It's pretty easy to tell by lookin if a trailer is made well. Peak underneath and check out how many and what type of crossmembers/bracing/supports it's got. If it has a tail gate on a hinge, check to see how sturdy the hinge mechinism is. Check for tie down points. Look at how the wires for lights are run. Look at how the hitch is welded on. 90% of the trailers we build where I work go to the rental industry. Places like Nations Rents and U.S Rentals...Since rental stuff is heavily abused, our trailers are waaaay over built. Everyone is powder coated too. And the price of our trailers reflects that. I'm not really up on the sales end of things, but I believe a 6x12 box/utility trailer would set ya back around $1500 or so if you were to buy from us. And unless you really abuse it, they'll last forever. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Best Trailer Inc. Located in Grass Valley, CA. If ya want a phone # shoot me a PM.