Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some advice on what welder to get...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speedyvision917, Apr 18, 2005.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Ok im currently taking a welding course and now i need/want one for myself. I no im getting a mig and either Miller or Lincoln. These are the ones my teacher recomended to me what do you suggest i get? He can supposedly get me these at these prices, what do yall think?

SP-175 Plus - $709 without tax http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=7083

SP-175T $633 without tax
    http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=2519

MillerMatic 175 $688 without tax
    http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_175/

If anyones used these or had any experiance with these id apreciate your input on them. Also any sugestions you can make. And lastly are these decent prices?

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Though not on your list, I got a Hobart 140 from Tractor Supply. They were running a special on them in the winter and I picked it up for about $440 IIRC. It has done everything I have wanted it to do, though I do wish I got a bigger argon tank. Its a 110v unit. The ones you specified are 220v. Most will say 220v is the way to go, but I have not exceeded my capabilites yet, but I dont do major fabrication.

I guess its up to preference. I would definately stay with the big three (Miller, Lincoln, Hobart) and Hobart being pretty much a re-badged Miller with a few plastic internals where Miller would be metal. Again, preference. Hope others have experience with the ones you listed.
    -Randy

3. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I love my Hobart Handler 180 (made by Miller), and they should be $100 or so cheaper than the Millermatic 175.

4. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

ya well i no im definately going with lincoln or miller and i dont want to have to get the 110 and then upgrade later, i think im going with the lincoln 175 plus. What do you suggest out of those three?

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have the hobart 140 . that think kicks a$$ all the way to the bank. saved big money and welds any thing i throw at it. at work one day thay had some 3/4 plate and wanted some 5" pipe 1/4" thick welded to it. so i took the grinder and put 45 degree on the pipe . then set welder to max and wire to god speed and let her fly. fliped it over when done and had good heat ring threw the 3/4 plate. from then on i was sold on this welder. and yes get the biggest bottle the wallet will alow.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have the Millermatic 175 and I really like it. I looked at Hobart but found out that they are pretty much a cheaper version of the Miller and figured I'd probably not be buying another welder ever so I went with the Miller.

7. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I just got my MillerMatic 175 recently and I LOVE it! After talking with the guys at the welding shop where I bought it I changed my mind from the Lincoln to the Miller. The Miller's drive unit is all metal versus a lot of plastic in the Lincoln. My dad's Lincoln BuzzBox stick welder is great too, but I think the Miller is the top choice out of Lincoln, Hobart and Miller. I am getting some awesome welds from the Miller.

8. chasone64

chasone64 Registered Member

I have a Lincoln SP-175, and I'm not impressed. I have problems with the drive, it has problems. We just got a Miller 210 at work & it's great.
    I would go with a miller, the lincoln's drives are junk.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

True Blue is my choice. Miller all the way. I use the Miller 135 and it is a kick ass welder. I imagine the 175 is just that much better.

Harley