Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some computer advice ASAP

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Jul 21, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

My wife's laptop took a crap yesterday, hard drive gone, nothing salvageable. It had all of our business Quickbooks on it among other items.

I need some advice on laptops, I need to buy one today, nothing too fancy, just reliable.

What are your thoughts on laptops? Brands, processors etc.

2. OffroadOverstock

OffroadOverstock 1/2 ton status

Dude. Get a Dell. :wink1:

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

dude ... DON'T GET A DELL!

check out acer ... good features and really good pricing.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I was just looking online, they are pretty affordable. The computer guy we use says he seems to have had the least problems (on laptops) with HP. I can't even do payroll for the employees until I get one so it's gonna be price+ship date that carries the most weight in my decision.

Friggin Best Buy has one that will work, but shipping is slow and the store here isn't opening for a few weeks.(next closest store is 250 miles +/-)

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-DV8320US-/sem/rpsm/oid/155506/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I bought this one about 3 months ago & I love it!!!! I know I also got like $200 back in rebates. I use it with a 250 GB external, so it's plenty big. I HIGHLY recommend you use an external with any computer and periodically do back-ups. By saving all you data files on the external, when the computer crashes, you don't loose the data, just the programs. Once they are reloaded, you can still access you info. Anyways, just a thought.

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well I have an acer, love it! after working on every major brand hp, dell, compaq, acer, IBM, gateway. My favorite is acer. Their technical support is awesome(still located in the united states, in fortworth tx). Are you sure your hd is totally gone. PM me for deatails I can useually get atleast some stuff off, using the freezer method along with some linux :) I've been working as a certified tech for 8 years now and I will recomend ACER to everyone.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the advice on the external, I will definitely do that. That one is a little more than I need, this is the wife's utility laptop, payroll, quickbooks, e-mail and apparently spider solitaire. I doubt she has ever burned a CD, DVD, watched a movie, played a game, etc. on hers.

jekquistk5: I'll look into the Acer, (sams has some locally I think), as far as the hard drive the company that we use for repairs, networking etc., which seems pretty professional, says that short of sending it to a data recovery company, which could get very pricey, they can do nothing for me. The said that the sound it made was the "click of death" and meant it was completely fried. Could they be wrong about this??

8. jekquistk5

Often times the click of death can be caused by a bad controller board. What model is the hard drive??? Find out, and let me know I may have some spares lying around. Other times the click of death can just be from worn out heads, which can be revived for a short time using the freezer trick.

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

We have had HP and Dell back and forth at work for years. We buy hundreds and hundreds at a time. We have mostly desktops, but also laptops as well. From a reliability standpoint, the HP is head and shoulders above Dell. When Dell first started, they were pretty competitive and had great customer service. Now they think their **** doesn't stink. We just had to replace bad hard drives in dozens and dozens of desktops. The old P2 HP pizza box CPU's that we are replacing have run flawlessly for years.

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think we are going to go the new hard drive route and see if any of the data can be saved in the process. My wife called one of our old friends back home while I was at lunch and he said the same thing jekquistk5 said. Wish me luck on salvageing some of the data, I thought my wife was gonna have a friggin breakdown yesterday.

12. jekquistk5

Good luck and like I said earlier I may have a controller board for you. I have about 15-20 laptop HD's sitting on my desk

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks, I will PM you later after I find all the paperwork on that thing and know what I need.