Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some diff cover help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

This question is about a Dana 35, but I'm sure it relates to all diff covers. 1990 Comanche 2WD with a Dana 35 in the rear. It looks like the cover's never been off(it's the factory orange silicone), and for the life of me I can't find something small enough to fit in between the carrier and the diff cover.

Has anybody ever run into this? I've tried a super skinny flathead screwdriver, a lino knife, and anything else really skinny, My problem is is that anything skinny enough to slide into the void isn't firm enough to pry the cover off.....

Please help me out, brothers!!!!!

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am not sure what a lino knife is, but I would try and get a exacto knife in there and try and cut the cover free instead of prying it. Or you might try and get an awl under the cover, and drive it into the diff enough to get a prybar in there.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas. <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo73>My K5</a>

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

have you tried the flathead screwdriver, and hit it with a hammer? Then oyu can straighten it on the ground, just make sure the surface is flat and bang out the dent you probably made.

90K5

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Try an old wood chisel(sp?)

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>I'm Discombobulated </a>

5. Can Can

Another name for a lino knife is a "banana knife"......

Does anybody else have any insight?

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v always just driven a flat head driver or wood chisel in at a couple of different places and pryed off the cover when they are siliconed on. If it bends a little they are easy to straighten out.

7. Can Can

I tried the same thing for about 10 minutes with about 4 different tools and couldn't get that sucker to budge. Is there a chance a Dana35 has a different cover setup on it? The cover is right flush to the diff body with absolutely NO gap!!!!! Almost like someone at the factory torqued the cover down really hard......

I'm almost ready to take a torch to the sucker and see if I can MELT the RTV a little bit. Would that work????

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Go to a local garage and ask the mechanic what they do when it happens.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

gasket scraper and a small hammer. it is wider and has a nice point to it. it doesnt bend it, and if it does it bends it less so it is easy to straighten. if you can do it from the top. i have never seen a deiff cover leak from the top. even if it is bent.
    Grant