Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some education please...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shane74, Jul 9, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have come to the realization that I won't be able to afford to go 1 ton for quite some time. It looks like I'll have to stick w/ my D44 and 12b for awhile. My /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif currently runs a 350/TH350/203/3.73's w/ 38" swampers (I know, tires too big, gears too tall) I will be stepping down to the 36" Iroks soon and here is what I am contemplating. My question/s is/are..

1. I currently have a 12b rear with 5.13's in it sitting on the side of my house. I'm thinking about swapping the gears/carrier into the 12b under the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif but I'm not sure if the gears would;
    A. Cause too much torque at the rear wheels thus snapping shafts?
    B. Be too short for the tires and cause the rpm's to skyrocket for the distances I drive to get to my wheeling spots.

2. Will putting 5.13's in my D44 cause the same toqrue/breakage issues?

I don't rock crawl and I don't abuse the truck, but I am tired of the crappy performance that I get from having tires/gears that are too tall for each other. It really takes the fun out it sometimes. I hope to be able to trailer it to wheeling spots soon, so I am less concerned with over rev on the freeway. It'll be far and few between road rides.

I need to put some objective on this because my 38's are dang near worn out and if this isn't a good plan, then I'll have to take out my body lift and drop back down to 33's tires for awhile so I don't burn up my new tranny.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

The 5.13s will lessen the wear-n-tear on everything from the pinion forward (tranny, engine, t-case) cuase it'll be easier on these components to spin the ring and pinion. Unfortunantly it multipies the torque felt by your axles, making it easier for your motor to snap them.
    If your 38's are worn out and you're gonna be buying new tires anyway, maybe you should (I can't believe I'm saying this) consider and smaller tire. Having said that though, you should be able to pick up a 14b for less than two bills in fair working condition.
    If you don't do any rock crawling, you could run your 14b w/ a detroit and 5.13s w/ an open (mmaaayyybbbeee an eaton or trutrac posi) d44 up front. Its what I've been running and I've been okay (of course I got a 60 in the garage almost ready to go in /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif) The few d44/10b fronts I've seen break on the trail were all people w/ lockers or posi's up front who gunned it while trying to get unstuck and turning the wheels lock-to-lock.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Ive never seen what a 5;13 pinion looks like for a 12 bolt or a 44, but im sure it would be getting pretty small.. so that might be somethin to keep in mind as well. I imagine if you just drive smart then your stuff should live.... Axle shafts and u joints dont cost much, Just carry spares, and when you hear something let go Get off the pedal instantly.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

With 5.13s in a 12b you will have pinion issues before axle shafts become an issue....

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

the 5.13s rpresently in my 10b front haven't been an issue, but as i suggested for the rear, get the 14b and a detroit... those two combined CAN cost less then just a locker for a 10 or 12b. I would put any money into a 10 or 12b rear with what a 14b could be had for.