Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some help, badly

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by HIX, Mar 5, 2004.

1. HIX

HIX Registered Member

In regards to the 6.2 in my blazer. What is the thing to the left and connected to the oil fill tube? It has two tubes that run to either side of the intake. If you know anything about these please give me a call and I'll call you right back 303-870-8153. My truck seems to be using up a Quart of oil a day and I can see the tubes leaking into the intake...help!

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

That's the CDR. Crankcase Depression Regulator valve. Basically does the same thing as the PCV system on a gasser. Supposed to suck oil fumes back into the intake.

It's normal for a little oil to be in the tubes and in the intake, but not a ton. How many miles are you driving to lose a quart a day?

Casey

3. HIX

HIX Registered Member

I'd say 70-100. I can see where the oil is trickling do the back of the intake. This thing only has 120k on it so I wouldn't think it was simply blowby...

4. HIX

HIX Registered Member

This is all I could find on it. Do you think it could account for the oil consuption?

Tech Tips from Diesel DON

Do you know when to service your CDR valve?

All 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines have a CDR (Crankcase Depression Regulator) valve. The CDR valve is one of the leading causes of head gasket failure on these engines. The CDR valve is responsible for controlling the pressure/vacuum in the engine crankcase, and separating the oil mist from the air and returning the oil to the crankcase.

The CDR valve should be serviced every 6,000 miles. When the CDR valve is not properly serviced, engine oil enters the air intake and is drawn into the engine. The diesel engine will burn this oil as fuel, however, it is heavier and thicker than diesel fuel and, having greater BTU output, causes excessive heat in the cylinder. After a period of time, cylinder and head temperatures will reach unacceptably high levels causing the head bolts to stretch and the head gasket to fail.

To inspect your CDR valve, remove the air cleaner assembly and look into the air intake with a flashlight. If you see engine oil mist in the intake manifold, it's time to service your CDR valve!

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I didn't know that !!!!!!!!! I knew it was like a PCV .WOW thanks for the info !!!!!!!!!Learn something new everyday !!!!!!

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The CDR valve is one of the leading causes of head gasket failure on these engines.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is TOTAL BS. If he honestly thinks that a little oil being drawn into the intake causes head gaskets to blow then he doesnt know jack about diesels. Diesels have terrible oil control compared to gas engines so they are always burning oil that gets past the rings. To think that a little oil coming in through the CDR valve is what blows head gaskets is totally false.

7. HIX

HIX Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The CDR valve is one of the leading causes of head gasket failure on these engines.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is TOTAL BS. If he honestly thinks that a little oil being drawn into the intake causes head gaskets to blow then he doesnt know jack about diesels. Diesels have terrible oil control compared to gas engines so they are always burning oil that gets past the rings. To think that a little oil coming in through the CDR valve is what blows head gaskets is totally false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, thats great and all but do you thing that the 1 quart a day oil habit that my truck has is due to this?

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I agree that this information is total nonsense. The CDR cannot be attributed to blown head gaskets as far as I can see.

However, bad CDR's can cause excessive oil consumption and blue smoke out of the exhaust pipes. If you're burning a quart of oil in 100 miles or less, the blue smoke coming out of your tail pipes should be following you around in a huge, billowing cloud.

Is it possible you're leaking oil instead of/as well as burning it?

Casey