Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some help laying out a plan of action with my truck....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Aug 14, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

OK I have questions upon questions...

I just bought a set of 38" tires... I am picking them up next week and am so stoked! My other plans are to swap in 1 ton axles at some point and change my lift around. The triple shock up front sucks. I want more flex. I already have gotten a lot of info on doing what Rene (trustyk5) did in the rear. Here's where I need some help.... I don't mind trimming fenders. I'd like to keep about 6" of lift like I have now. How can I obtain this height and run this suspension set up? What are the parts I will be needing to buy? I bought a set of shock mounts for the rear already (55Willy). I have so much running through my head and frankly am lost as to where to start. I want to do my front different too. Can I do the same type of set up in the front as the rear? I don't tow often and was told if I did this I can't tow anymore. Is there anyway to solve this at all? I'm not talking another truck, a trailer. Are there things that can be fabbed up to be bolted on to limit flex and hold things in place? What about adjustable shocks? I have no idea... I'm just trying to figure this all out and like I said have zero clue where to start.... I am stressing on the steering with a Dana 60, to do cross over in all this... and I how can run a sway bar? Can I have one fabbed to work with this set up since it won't otherwise.... anyhow I don't fab things period. I melt metal so far with my welder. So all parts need to be bought. Anyhow any advice, tips and tricks are welcome in helping me lay out my plan and get somewhere with this.... cuz right now I feel like AHHHHHH and am so lost. Thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have no idea hoe rene has his suspension, but i do have a howling offroad shock setup also... i need way longer shocks...
    one idea for ya though... learn how to use that welder, or give it to me... he he... ill use it...
    that is the best thing for ya. get scrap metal of all kinds and start trying. if time and money permits take a class at a college.
    grant /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

hey grant i have some 36 inch extended length pro comp 3000s . 75 $ for both , sorry to be off topic :\

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am going to buy gas charged this time. i want that extra bit of force pushing down on the axle. not that it will make to much of a dif.
    thanks for the offer.
    grant

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Grant, here's what I did to mine...

http://www.echobit.com/technical/ford-57inch-spring-swap/f-150-spring-swap.shtml

Steph, you could extend the bumpstops to limit compression. As for gaining another 2" you could add-a-leaf to the Ford pack and run a zero rate. The other way to go is with Borrego's bolt on shacle bracket which nets about 5.5" and then add a zero rate.

For the front I'm somewhat tempted to keep it simple and use some Tuff country 4" EZ rides...

Howlin off-road and MO off road both make shock relocation kits and the part numbers for longer shocks have been posted fairly often. Emmettolgy 101 just bought a set so you could pm him for those part numbers.

As for the welding...it's all practice and some basic theory. Shoot me a pm and I'll run you through the basics. Then get some scrap steel and start burning wire!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Steph, I said it before and I'm gonna say it again right now...."when you are ready to sell the triple-shock brackets you have, give me a PM as I will be interested in buying them from you." /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. ChevyCaGal

I know I know I know... LOL.... I just need to have a plan for when I take them off and am really lost as what to do. I don't have a ton of money, but I have some saved up and I will make a little something off my parts I am taking off. Anyone have ideas on the towing thing... that's my main thing... how to flex like mad but be able to tow every so often... I have a feeling I will have to give towing to flex... and I will I suppose if I have to do so....

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Depends on what you tow...keep it small and it wouldn't be a big deal as long as the trailer was loaded correctly. 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue.

Rene

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My fenders have only been trimmed back to the inner fender. I was scrubbing 32's under full stuff on Stock rims. When I went to 35's I put a set of 1 inch zero rates on and moved the axle forward one inch. I also put a 1 inch body lift on....Haven't had a chance to take the sway bar loose but it looks like it was just the right amount of a little here and a little there. With the sway on I have not come even close to scrubbing. Did manage to split a energy suspension swap bar bushing where it bolts to the cross member length wise /forums/images/icons/smile.gif That will get you about 5 or so inches of suspension on the front if you run a 4 inch front spring. Front of my truck now sits level with Depdogs and he's running 36's and cut way back to do it...he does have a little more wheel travel then I do though.

10. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Crossover steering would definitely help in the front. I have heard of people making a sway bar work, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Try runinng without one, it's not that bad. The parts are relatively easy to find for the crossover setup, just kind of expensive.

Just take your time, and plan everything out. 6 inches of lift would be a great setup with 38's. The fenders would still have to be trimmed, but it will work for sure. I'm running the same setup, with a 1" ORD body lift. For the lift, I would run the softest springs you can get. Body roll will be more noticable but it's worth it when you hit the trail. Adjustable shocks are also good to have and would help out limiting some of the way from the soft springs, but there are lots of other options there too.

Good luck
    BIGJ

11. ChevyCaGal

I am not worried about chopping my fenders at all and intend to do it soon for more room... been putting it off because I am not sure how to work with the unfinished exposed edge is all. I don't want to slice my hand open on that but smashing with a hammer to form an edge doesn't seem like a good idea either!

I just don't know what all I will need to do this... tools, parts and etc... I have no clue about approx cost either... I want a sway bar, I had 36's with none for a week hated it with a passion! So I'll have to have something made to work...

Ok so to get 6" of lift... and 57" Ford set up in the rear what am I looking at in needing in parts and tools so I can start putting it together and figuring this out? And if I want to do something like this up front what all would I need.... this is big thing not know what to get and what to look at....

12. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I run 38/15.50 tires on a 4" lift.I cut the heck out of the front fenders,but you can't tell from a distance.I followed the fender lines and cut back to the firewall(no wheelwells).I have no sway bar(first thing that got tossed!).The rear is a homemade shackle flip(factory spring hangers) with 56" springs.I have no rubbing in the front at all and the rear tires stuff into the fenders.Yes lose the triple frt. shocks,sway bar and cut away!You have an 6" lift,so you might have it a little easier.People don't realize I run 38's cause the lift and cut fenders look propotional,until they get close(those are some big AS# tires!).Mike

13. ChevyCaGal

Yeah want to stay at 6" or go up to maybe 7" with a combo of things... but no higher... I wonder how my insurance is gonna like me now... hehehe.......