Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need some help on hubs!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fknfbm53559, Dec 19, 2000.

1. fknfbm53559

fknfbm53559 Registered Member

alright i own a 79 k-5 and it came with the auto lockers on the front, ive heard that manual locking hubs are way better and u can engage them while driving as long as u have them locked in. i was wanting to change out my auto lockers for a pair of manuals but i havent had much work with axles. how would i go about making the swap and is there any major axle work involved or do i just yank the other hubs off and bolt the new ones on?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I think you may have fulltime 4wd... I didn't think they started the auto huto until '82 or so.

If you have fulltime 4wd then you will nee to get the part time conversion kit that requires a little work to the t-case and comes with hubs. I heard it is not very hard to do.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Danivek

Danivek Registered Member

First question? Do you have the 203 (full-time 4x4) or the 208 (part-time) im not sure if 79's came with the 208, but if its's stock the hubs on the 203 should be just silver and kinda flat, if its the 208 i would look like a regular hub but instead of having something to turn theres a sticker saying 4x4. Im not to sure on the 203 (my friend has one and ill ask him) but on the 208 its very simple. take off the allan head screws. take off the cover (theres a couple little parts that fall out. push the remaing hub back and theres one, mabye 2 snap rings holding that peice in. one may be on the shaft it self and theres definately one the full circle. if you dont have the right tool to take this out use 2 small flathead screwdirvers (one to hold it and one to pry it out) look for the gap in the snap ring, trust me its a lot easier. keep holding the hub because theres a spring pushing it out and it will hit you square in the face. take out all the rest of whats in there, clean it out, put new grease in, slide the new hub in, put the snap reings beack where they went before, screw on the new hub dial and BAM! you've got new warn hubs, Get the metal warn hubs--indestructible-- ill have my friend post something on the 203 as soon as i talkl to him.

check out my truck and other Sun Desert Offroad trucks at
    www.jimjim.coloradok5.com

4. fknfbm53559

i dont think its the full time because like u said mine are the hubs with like 6 allen head bolts and it has a little silver 4x4 sticker on it. also the in cabin selector has low loc, low, nuetral, hi, and hi loc, so im pretty sure its not full time. thanx

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

actully dude, if your case has those choices, it's a fulltime 203. If you're gonna put manual hubs on that thing, you'll need to get a parttime kit for the 203. Milemarker I know sells one, but I'm sure there's prb. others.

Kyle
    89K5

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have a full time 203 transfer case and someone has at some point installed a newer front axle, OR installed the crappy auto locking hubs. Get the Milemarker kit to convert to part time 4x4, they run about $90 with new locking hubs.

ken

7. fknfbm53559

what would i be getting myself into if i tried to install this part time kit. this is my daily driver so i dont know if i could do without it for a long time period

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

There's a chance someone has already installed a part time kit and auto locking hubs. To find out if it's part time, see if you can turn the front driveshaft with your hand while parked with the engine off, with one of the front tires jacked up, and the t-case in the Hi position. If you can turn it, it's been converted to part time. If not, you're still full time. If the tire spins while you're doing this, you've got either auto locking hubs or full-time hubs. If you've got some kind of locker in the front differential (pretty rare in stock Blazers), you wont be able to move anything.

I hope I didn't confuse you [​IMG]

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Kit is easy to install, just read directions first. Took me about 3 hours to install in a 78 k10. I used milemarker and got it from summit racing. It really depends on your mechanical ability.