Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some help (T-case leak)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SuperUnknown, Feb 23, 2001.

1. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

I was under my truck today and found a problem: The transfer case(NP208 in an '88) is leaking fluid around the rear output. I don't know much about transfer cases as this is my first 4x4, but I am asumming that there is some sort of seal or o-ring just inside the housing. Is this going to be easy to fix or a big pain in the ass? It looks like it has been leaking for some time, how do I check the fluid level and what kind of lube should I use if it's low?

I think I might have broke something.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's a pretty easy fix. Moist is noromal slung all over the place and dribbling down the tail shaft is not. The seal is about $5 and just requires a screw driver some box wrenches and a hammer to do.
    Word of safty. Chock the wheels and set the parking brake, case in N.
    First remove the 2 u-clamps that hold the u-joint to the yoke on the pinion.
    Once thos are loose you can push the drive shaft towards the case and it will come off the yoke. Pay close attention to the caps on the U-Joint. they can fall off. you may want to have some rubber bands ready to wrap around the caps to make sure they don't fall off.
    Once off the yoke pull straight back and it will slide out of the tail shaft of the case and you will see the seal right at the end of the tailshaft cone. Be carefull not to ding up the shinny seal surface on the drive shaft. Any nicks will cause the seal to fail again.
    Carefully pry the old seal out with the screw driver.
    The new seal should have a coating around the outside to seal it to the case and not require any other sealant but a little RTV will not hurt if it makes your feel better. Just make sure the area is clean and dry. Brake cleaner sprayed on a paper towel always does a good job of cleaning oils off.
    gently tap the seal in with the hammer making sure that it goes in flat and even. Once thats in coat the shnny section of the drive shaft with some grease or ATF and put it back together.
    On the case should be a pipe fitting plug about an inch in dia, ( you 208 folks can pipe in anytime I have a 203 so not sure where the fill hole is located) That is the fill/level check hole. once thats removed stick your finger in and the lubricant shuold be right up to that hole if not add some ATF (Automatic transmision fluid). ATF is what the 208 runs.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. SuperUnknown

Thanks for the help !

I think I might have broke something.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yep, Grimmy hit it on the head. The 208 is just like my 241. The BIG hex head right there out in the open on the back side of the t-case. And the one below it is for the drain.
    One more note, I had to take the whole tail shaft off the get my seal out. It must have been the stock one. I was destroying it and getting no where. But if you have to take the tailshaft off, its not big deal. Just 4 bolts adn some running fluid coming your way. Then you can use a long punch and pop it out from the back side. The I just used some Hi-temp permetex and re-sealed the tail housing, popped the new seal in and re-torqued the bolts, then your done, minus the topping off of the fluid.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/4.10's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

The plug is 1 1/4" diameter.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

6. SuperUnknown

Man, is it dry in there. I looked in the fill hole and couldn't find any lube so I opened up the drain plug and there wasn't much down there ether. I don't think the leak is that big, I just think it has been there for a long time. It's still empty as I don't want to drive it down to get parts and lube. Another Q: Should I use locktite when I put the plugs back in?

[​IMG]

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Nope, just make sure the rubber washer is still on the plug before you put it back in. This will help it from leaking. But there is no pressure or tension on these plugs, so no need for lock-tight less you really want to.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

8. SuperUnknown

I just don't want the plugs rattleing themshelfs out.

Hmmmm, there wasn't a rubber washer on the plug when I took it out, maybe that is part of the problem.

Must be another one of the things the previous owner "Fixed"

[​IMG]

9. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You might stil continue to have the leak fun that I am now. I changed my seal to but I got a bushing worn out on the inside. Its easy to do too, just do everything mentioned but take off the tailshaft and put in the bushing.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

10. SuperUnknown

Aprox. how much ATF do I need to fill the T-case?

[​IMG]

11. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I think about 4 or 5, depends how messy you are. What work awesome is you get that cone shape end off of a jug of axle lube and use that. Open the fill plug and squeeze the fluid in. You'll get most of the fluid out of each quart, but not all. Then you take all the left overs and pour them into one jug and empty that. When your done the fluid should be at about the bottom of the filler plug hole. You'll have a little fluid left over in your last quart that you couldnt squeeze. I suppose you could throw in your transmission, or light it on fire and clap with amusement, lol.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

12. SuperUnknown

OK Just one more question and I should be good to go.
    I got some Dexron III ATF at napa but I just read in the manual that I should use Dexron II ATF. What is the difference??? Dexron III will work ok wont it?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

[​IMG]

13. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Dextron III is the new up-grade from Dextron II/Dextron and is compatable.

14. SuperUnknown

I think NAPA gave me the wrong part. It's not exactly like the one I have in there. If anyone happens to have a picture of the rear seal for a 208 and/or the NAPA part number, it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

[​IMG]