Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some ideas for towing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by google, Jul 19, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

I've got an 86 3/4 ton suburban that I need to pick up. I've posted for help in the local forum with no response and the only other idea I have is to spend more than I paid on the suburban to rent a uhaul and tow dolly which I don't even know will carry the burb. Anyone else have an idea on how I could go pick it up?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

What do you have to tow it with?

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

All I can do is rent stuff from uhaul. Truck and dolly (dunno if dolly will hold up and trailer is too small)

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

tow bar from uhaul $100. my stock blazer wouldnt fit on the dolly so thats what i did.

5. google

google 1/2 ton status

To buy? Hmm.... does that just bolt up to the frame of the burb? I'll have to look at that....

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

yeah just clamps on, i put mine on leafs(only place on mine) towed it 200mi just fine. was that or the mechanic in vegas wanted to charge me $3,800 to put a junkyard used motor in-i politely so "NO" :rolleyes:

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

U haul will not rent you a dolly or a car trailer for a suburban. Your only option (with them) is a tow bar. Supposedly they will not fit on the trailers.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I gave up doing it myself..

For the same amount of cash (and maybe less)--I can call a ramp truck to haul a truck home--and no worries about towing it myself,hurting my truck towing it,or worries about getting pulled over for towing an unregistered and uninsured vehicle...or having an accident...

.I used to haul stuff home with nothing more than a chain or rope,or a borrowed trailer..but nearly every time I had some dilema..one of the worst was when the winch broke on my friends trailer I borrowed,and a lady smashed the fender to Sh** at an intersection when she didn't realize I had a truck in tow :doah: :screwy: --cost me 6 years of surcharges on my insurance,and my friend is still pissed about his trailer..I bought him another winch at a swap meet..cost 100 bucks,but it was worth it!..the fender is hammered back out,but looks ghetto.--a ramp truck would have charged 65 bucks! :doah: ..live and learn!... :crazy:

9. google

google 1/2 ton status

But I have to tow it from 110 or so miles away. I found a friend of my sister with one of those tow bars and a truck..... I just hope my sister doesn't turn him down before friday when he is suposed to be here to pick me up. That would suck. Thanks for all the ideas.... but one more thing.... where would I call to find one of those ramp trucks? Just a tow company?

10. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i have tried real hard to find one to rent but none big enough. called everyone around. would of had to paid someone to hual it $$$$$$$
    i like chaep n easy u-haul i can abuse and not worrie :)

11. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Rent a big Uhaul truck, go to Sunbelt, and rent a big equipment trailer.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

but how far you have to pull it ??

doesnt run and drive ?
    or ?

tow dolly rental should be dirt cheap
    really
    if it will fit on one anyways,
    width.,.

or borrow someoens trailer you know of for whatever amount, cant be much

humm

good luck