Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need some input guys

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by mudhog, Jan 19, 2004.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i need you guys input i can get a 74 2wheel drive blazer with no rust no motor or tranny for fairly cheap. my question is should i swap the body onto my frame or should i just put my motor tranny and running gear into it?

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i think the hump in the floor on a 2wd is shorter...but a body lift solves that...i think it would be easier to change the body...ive taken a body off before and its not that bad...also i have a large steel a frame and 2 chain hoists if u need to use them....

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've been doing some talking with him on msn, and i am with you that a body swap would be easier, BUT, there is something i didn't mention in the original post....he wants to register it as a 74 so he doesn't have to smog it, and when you do a swap, they give you a reconstructed title and go by the VIN on the frame ONLY(i just went thru this when we did the body swap on my dads burb, so I know how they work). So the only way he is able to reg it as a true 74 is to do a running gear swap.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the only way he is able to reg it as a true 74 is to do a running gear swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. But it's do-able over a weekend if enough guys show up with tools! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Are yoiu talking about converting a 2wd to a 4wd? I've heard that is a *&$%#. Why not take the convert your Blazer to a full top? I assume that your body is decent (I've never seen it). Then your title wouldn't change at all. I'm doing the same thing this summer on my 80. Just take the doors, top, and windsheild pillar from the 74 and replace your cab. If you are not going to use the frame from the 2wd, let me know, I've always wanted a 2wd Blazer.
    T-roy

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I think he wants to get away from emissions too. Converting a 2WD to 4WD is time consuming. Lots of sh*t to do, but it can be done. Same frame rails, different spring hangers, brackets, cross members, etc. By the time he's done, there won't be much left of his '77! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have a 2wd blazer t-roy....pics in my webshots