Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need some input guys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Jan 19, 2004.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i need you guys input i can get a 74 2wheel drive blazer with no rust no motor or tranny for fairly cheap. my question is should i swap the body onto my frame or should i just put my motor tranny and running gear into it?

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Put some 24's on that biatch and drop it about 4".

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've never pulled a body off the frame, but I wouldn't think it'd be that hard consittering people do body lifts all the time. Just gotta be carefull of the wires.

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Thats the first thing I thought /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Not for nuthin but I would think that swappin all of the four wheeler stuff over would be harder than movin the tub onto your frame. Good luck to ya with whatever you decide to do.

Allan

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never pulled a body off the frame, but I wouldn't think it'd be that hard consittering people do body lifts all the time. Just gotta be carefull of the wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're a bitch to lift, I can tell you that. Even a truck cab is a pain in the ass. I did mine, and I swore I'd never do that again...then I trashed my body so I'm sure I'll be doing it eventually.

I personally would swap your frame under the other K5's body. Unbolt it, jack it up, put it on blocks, and roll your frame under on some tiny tires.

That's essentially how I did mine, then I had to put the front clip on, box, wire everything, etc.

It was a PITA, but it was worth it. I wouldn't have the truck I have today had I not grown the balls to do the project. It might not be much, but when I was done with that project, I was so proud of myself. After all that work to bring my truck back to life from what was essentially doomed to go to the junkyard, I personally don't care what anybody thinks of my rig. Built, not bought takes on a whole new meaning once you get that far as to change the frame your rig is on. To this day I still don't have the bugs worked out, but who here can honestly say they do? I think I've got a few more bugs than some, but less than others, so I think I've done pretty well with the limited resources/tools I had available.

Keep in mind at that time I had nothing but tools that were made in taiwan or china with a few Craftsman tools here and there, and no power tools other than a sawzall and a borrowed 4.5" angle grinder. Would I ever attempt a project like that with the tools I had then? Hell no...but I made it happen, reguardless.

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

when I did the blazer resto, I stripped the tub down, just the cab and no fenders top or interior or doors, I used a engin puller and three people standing on its legs so it wouldn't tip over, then used a dodge truck to drag the frame out while using boards over the engin puller legs to help it slide.

We did this in a two car garage, I'll scan some pics up tommarow if I got time /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I say swap the bodies!
    It's not near as hard as some people make it out to be.
    It's not easy but not that hard and it can be time consuming, but very worth it in the long run.
    I've heard of guys complaining about swaping out just cabs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Try doing a suburban! Thats what I did first time, took two days (would have been longer if I had fixed all the other stuff I could now get to easily) we focused strictly on the swap and got it done. It's awesome to have the same rive line you already know all the quirks of with a new body wrapped around it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just go for it, you won't regret it.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah with some hip escalade emblems, neon light under carraige lighting, curtains on the windows, shag carpet, and a big gold metal sign bolted in the back window saying something in spanish. That would be /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

2wds are rare especially not rotted out. WHy not save. I would conciderbuyint it if I was closer. I have been looking for a 2wd for a while.

12. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

I'm with Grim I want a slammed 2wd 73-75 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif.

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    2wds are rare especially not rotted out. WHy not save. I would conciderbuyint it if I was closer. I have been looking for a 2wd for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I also agree with Grim, they are VERY rare and would be a nice cruiser. A 6.2 diesel 2wd blazer gets like 25+ MPG. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a nice cruiser. A 6.2 diesel 2wd blazer gets like 25+ MPG.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif These words belong no where near each other. A Geo Metro gets like 30 MPG, that doesn't make it a cruiser.

I say BBC and slam it. Or if its so rare, put it on ebay and spend the $$$ on your 4x4.

15. rjfguitar

Um...it DOES make it a good cruiser BECAUSE it gets good fuel mileage. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Maybe your thinking of "mobbing" down the local drag with your homies and a 6.2 diesel wouldn't be "cool" but for me cruising 100 miles each way down to my GF's house... a 6.2 diesel would be nice in a 2wd blazer.

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Make the 74 Aimee's (spelling?) DD............I had a 2WD 78 and LOVED it..........was dropped and handled like a slot car. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it DOES make it a good cruiser BECAUSE it gets good fuel mileage

[/ QUOTE ]
    So get a Metro or Festiva. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    "mobbing" down the local drag with your homies

[/ QUOTE ] I don't have any "homies" and am not sure what "mobbing" means, but am pretty sure I don't do that either. Please explain.

[ QUOTE ]
    a 6.2 diesel would be nice in a 2wd blazer

[/ QUOTE ] I had a 6.2 in a K10. I didn't like it there, wouldn't like it in a 2wd blazer either.

[ QUOTE ]
    cruising 100 miles each way down to my GF's house

[/ QUOTE ] Save your $$$ and find a woman a little closer./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Just my opinion.

But good luck with your 6.2 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Cruiser. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Make the 74 Aimee's (spelling?) DD............I had a 2WD 78 and LOVED it..........was dropped and handled like a slot car. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes that is the way to spell her name /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and i have thought of that i just don't have a place to store it or have the money to get a engine and tranny /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif once it was running i could have it here but till then i cant /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    So get a Metro or Festiva.

[/ QUOTE ] Metro's or festiva's are gay... I would rather get 25 mpg in a full size blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't have any "homies" and am not sure what "mobbing" means, but am pretty sure I don't do that either. Please explain.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know what it means either. Just heard some african americans saying it on TV. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    I had a 6.2 in a K10. I didn't like it there, wouldn't like it in a 2wd blazer either

[/ QUOTE ] .
    Well thats your experience, they aren't fast or anything but get great mileage even under towing. I have my 85' with a 406 to go fast if I want to. A 6.2 with the banks turbo isn't bad at all, no it's not a cummins but it will tow as good as a stock 454 with the mileage of a base model strait 6. Sounds good to me.

[ QUOTE ]
    Save your $$$ and find a woman a little closer./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] This is a totally different topic but in short...if you find a good one don't let her go. Am I right?

[ QUOTE ]
    But good luck with your 6.2 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Cruiser. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't mind having a 4wd 6.2 turbo diesel and am currently looking for one to use as a DD. Again if I wan't to have a lot of power for wheeling, going fast, and getting 9mpg(average) then I will jump in my 85'. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Oh and thanks for the good luck... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

20. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    i have thought about keeping it a 2wd and dropping a built motor in it and using it as a drag race truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif