Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need some legal advice............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Corey 78K5, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

OK here is the deal. I bought my house back in April of last year. In December I started having sewer problems so I called the mayor and told him the problem since I pay a monthly bill for my utility's which covers sewage. So they send out this fockhead that snaked out the line (after I dug up the line). Well that only worked for about 3 days. So the mayor and fockhead show back up this morning and try it again. Problem is the snake went in 103 feet and stopped right in a clump of trees about 50 feet in the property behind me. Then these two cocksuckers tell me that I am going to have to get permission from the property owner to go fix the problem myself:mad:
    So I asked the mayor to explain to me why in the fock I just payed my property tax for the year and why the fock I pay a goddamn utility's bill every focking month. The prick said that there hand were tied. So I told them to get the fock off of my property. Then they tore ruts in my lawn with there goddamn truck. I am so focking pissed off right now, I just wanted to smash the cocksuckers face in with his arrogant attitude:mad:

So what steps should I take to correct this problem either with the city and or the previous owner?

Oh and sorry for saying fock and stuff so much but right now I really don't give a flying fock:angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The problem with legal advice for your problem is that the answer completely depends on the local and state ordinances. I hate to say it, but you need to talk to a local lawyer.

That said, why did they need permission or think that you were responsible?

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, your focked on this 1, sorry to say. I just dealt with the same type of thing. My original sewer line was put in in 1919....before my neighbors house was built, the line runs right through thier property and they were HARD TO WORK WITH. I did all the same calls to the city and every1 else I thought would help me. The sewer bill you pay for is to maintain the city main, NOT your personal line. If it runs through a neighboring property, you must get written permission to go on their property and dig. If they will not let you still, Then you will have to go through the city records and make sure you do or do not have an easment, If you dont, then you can go to court and get 1 if you cant make an agreement with the neighbor.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah I think I need a lawyer also. I think what It comes down to is the idiots have such a screwed up sewer layout and have no clue where anything is nor the intelligence to fix the problem which they are responsible for.....

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Does the sewer line have a utility easement?

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

corey, is it property? or is there a house on it? if there isnt a house, and they dont live there, just go fix it... when i lived at home, we had a similar problem, so we had a plumber come out, to snake the line, and it was into the neighbors property, but no house on the lot, we called the city and told them they could come fix it, or we'd take them to court for damages (toilets would back up everytime it rained and the water level rose, causing the roots to swell and further block the pipes)... i say talk with the neighbors and just get together and fix it...

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yes...

8. Chaddy

It is your responsibility to fix, and maintain your sewer line----If you share a line, and you share the problem then you share the cost of the repair.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There is an empty house there. I'm not going to do jack thats what I pay a bill every month for......

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

They problem is not on my property.......

11. Chaddy

It doesnt matter. It is your responsibility all the way to the city main. I just dealt with the same BS. a year ago.

12. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    OK, I don't know if I can help but I'll try.
    1st, most cities & towns only are responsible for the main sewer system, not the line from your house to it. I know it sucks but that's the way it is.
    Next, tree roots that have got through the sewer line won't go away.
    You can have a cable ran with a cutter on it and it will clear it up for now but the problem will come back.
    Now, if you can find out that the previous owners had this problem and didn't diclose it at the sale, you can sue them for what it takes to fix it and more then likely win. Start calling all the sewer & drain cleaning companies to see if they have the previous owners listed as a customer and what was done.
    As for the town, I think your just wasting your time and pissing them off won't get you anywhere IMO.
    I hope this helps.

13. Chaddy

You can actually sue the listing agent if thats the case.

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

As cbbr said, it depends on local laws. At least here, since you have an easement access is a no brainer, and permission is not needed. Again, here if you are in the city and that is the main or secondary then the city covers cost, if it is not a main and it is on another property and that property has no problems with service then you have an issue.

Some municipalities have really tight laws when it comes to trees too, if trees have to be cut to make the repair that can make it harder.

I know that's not much help, but it's all I got.

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Depends on state law, in most states the seller only is liable for non-disclosure of problems that are not readily apparent, but stormtropper's right, look at the prop. discl. from the seller and if they did not mention but had repairs done you have some legal standing.

16. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Nobody knows where any of their underground **** is...it's part of the fun!

17. cbbr

Yes, but only if they knew or had some way to know that there was a problem. If the sewer backed up and the city said it was fixed, and turds went down the toilet you really don't have a cause of action.

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Right, but (in CO at least) they have to disclose that there was a problem and it was fixed and how, if they didn't disclose a problem, even if they took steps to correct it, they could be liable. Not disclosing, even if the prev. owner thought they had it fixed, is cause for action here.

Either way, as far as Corey's situation goes I'd say that unless they constructively concealed something and it amounts to huge $$ it's probably not worth pursuing in court (might be worth a couple letters threatening action though).

BTW, nice sig there Davinci Code.:haha:

19. cbbr

Here they don't even have to disclose things that are repaired to the best of my knowledge. And as for the sig, it just was not working very well otherwise.:rolleyes: :D

20. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I guess we are collectively oblivious.